Best size aquarium for breeding?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

rhino
Obsessed!!

Best size aquarium for breeding?

Post by rhino »

I have a 55 Gallon tank ( 208 Liters ) I was going to use for a breeding. I see that alot use a 20 gallon (75 Liter ). Should I buy a smaller aquarium or use the 55 Gallon?
Bobby
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

The main reason for using smaller tanks is for water control. Its a lot easier to do a 25% RO water change with a smaller tank ;)

As you say, most do use smaller tanks - Ours are in a 30 gal and a 5 gallon drum of RO mixed with some tap water does a water change.

Also its easier to monitor the zebs in a smaller tank - bigger tank - more room to hide - I personally like to check ours daily - check all is ok.
If I cant find one - I'm not happy until I do.
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
John

Post by John »

Depends ofcourse how big your breeding group is going to be!
I have 12 adults in a 66 gallon tank.
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

tank size

Post by CDNAqua »

Hi,

Smithrc pretty much nailed it to why most of us use smaller tanks.

My favorite tank for zebs would have to be a 40 gal breeder.
40 gal breeders have more floorspace. A 40 gal is wider and shorter than a standard 35 or 55 gal. Zebs utilize very litttle of the top portion of tanks, if ever.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i think the 40breeder would make a great breeding tank, hence the name. i saw one at the petco $1 a gallon sale but for whatever reason i hesitated on buying it, of course im regretting it now though.
Zoban
Groupie

Post by Zoban »

$1 a gallon sale
I ever see one those sales near me will buy 2 or 3 tanks the wife be damned.. :)
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Post by CDNAqua »

Zoban wrote:
$1 a gallon sale
I ever see one those sales near me will buy 2 or 3 tanks the wife be damned.. :)
Roger that Zoban. :) I would be all over them at 1$ a gallon.

Zoban where ya posting from? I don't see a location in your profile.
Please update it so the4 community knows where your coming from.

Peace

Troy
Zoban
Groupie

Post by Zoban »

Sorry bout that forgot to add it in will do that now..

Oshawa Ontario Canada is the Home Base though,. :)
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

yeah you should have seen the look on my fiance's face when i told her about the sale.

at first it was kinda ok since it was gonna be just one tank, a 20gallon long so $20. then it was wow that is a nice 40gal breeder $40 but i didnt get it. i did manage a few 20's though.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

eklikewhoa wrote:i think the 40breeder would make a great breeding tank, hence the name. i saw one at the petco $1 a gallon sale but for whatever reason i hesitated on buying it, of course im regretting it now though.
Yeah, I got mine becuase of that. I've always planned to breed zebras and knew I needed a 40 gallon breeder. Even though it probably won't be for another year or so, I figured I would get the tank during the sale.
alfon76
Forum Follower

Post by alfon76 »

Hi all. I didn't want to start a new thread since this one seems to be headed in the same direction. I am brand new here and have been reading as much as possible. I came across the opportunity to buy a proven breeding group of Zebras (2.6) as well as 10 1.25" babies of their last spawn. I have some 40 gallon breeder tanks but they are made for reptiles which is not good for holding water. However, I do have a 55 gallon tank that I can use. Would this be ok or do you recommend me getting something better.

Thanks,
Ivan
We all follow paths that lead us to our goal, but it is how we behave while on that path that dictates what kind of a person you are.
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Post by CDNAqua »

alfon76 wrote:Hi all. I didn't want to start a new thread since this one seems to be headed in the same direction. I am brand new here and have been reading as much as possible. I came across the opportunity to buy a proven breeding group of Zebras (2.6) as well as 10 1.25" babies of their last spawn. I have some 40 gallon breeder tanks but they are made for reptiles which is not good for holding water. However, I do have a 55 gallon tank that I can use. Would this be ok or do you recommend me getting something better.

Thanks,
Ivan
Hi Ivan,

A 55 gal is fine.

Peace

Troy
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

I finally settled with a 33 Gal (125 Liter) tank. It’s the same size as the 55 Gal (208 Liter) just shorter. This way I have it on the same stand as my 55 Gal. I’ll post some pics tonight to get some feed back. I was able to get 5 caves in this setup with 3 pieces of driftwood and some stacked slate.
Bobby
duonri
Forum Follower

Post by duonri »

A 55 gal is fine for your group !
Thx.