Baby Zebra question

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Uh huh. Certainly not proving my point about elitism either of you.

The notion that you can't move fry from their tank for 6 months - and that that's the gospel - is patently absurd. Riddle me this: how do any of them ever survive in the wild without people handling them with kid gloves?[/quote]
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Pete wrote:Uh huh. Certainly not proving my point about elitism either of you.

The notion that you can't move fry from their tank for 6 months - and that that's the gospel - is patently absurd. Riddle me this: how do any of them ever survive in the wild
They don't get moved....? changes in the enviroment don't happen as sudden as from one tank to the other?

Tanks have a much more concentrated enviroment regarding both bacteria and and other parameters? Water don't get changed as often, regularily and constantly as it does in nature? Anyway, how do we know how many do survive in the wild?

Just guessing here

Anyway, when you get your own fry you can do whatever you want with them right? repeat the mistakes others have made and all. You can do whatever you want ;)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I pulled two spawns by removing the whole cave with dad and babies in it after the fry went free swimming but before dad kicked them out. they went into their own 15 gal growout tank which did use 50% water from the breeding tank. The fry were out w/i about 36 hours and the caves and males were returned to the breeding tank.

One spawn was removed July 21 and the second July31. Most of the fry are still doing great.

Most of my fry have been left in the breeder tank with the adults. However to hedge my bets I decided to spread them out.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Thanks for posting that TTA. There was no question it had to be possible :)
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
Shimmy
Groupie

Post by Shimmy »

Be careful in associating deaths of fry with what you might and might not have done.

You have to understand that you will not keep all fry alive, losses will occur in under 6 months, after six moths, etc.

I have used different methods, moved fry away from parents when they have concumed the yolk sac, didnt loose any then out of the blue lost 80%.

I have left the fry in the adult tank and they were fine, then another spawn did the same and was only left with one fry.

I recently had 11 eggs laid took them out and placed into a breeding trap, which is what I have been doing over the last nine months with good success but on this occassion lost nine with 72 hours.

Even now which a large mix of different age zebras in a colony tank I have come accross one that has died for no apparent reason..

When you begin to breed them try different things, but dont be affriad to loose some it is inevitable, but remember you have done the hard part and that is getting them to breed in the first place. Usually when they start they carry on for a while
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

So it is up to me really as everyone seems to have different opinions :? :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

zebrastorey wrote:So it is up to me really as everyone seems to have different opinions :? :lol:
And different experiences ;) You jsut have to find what works best for you.