Does my zeb look thin?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Since Zebras come from Xingu River, a tributary of the Amazon River, you would assume there are pirahnas in the river as well. If any animal fall prey to the pirahna, bits of pieces of the animal would be carried downstream. Therefore, the zebra would probably get a chance to have a bite or 2, if it were lucky.
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

Jojoyojimbi wrote:how many animals do you think die and wash into the river? what eats them... cardinal tetras?
LOL! I cant type I'm laughing so hard. If it makes any difference, I went to Petco the other day and in the pleco tank about half were dead. Nothing unusual for this store, but all the other plecos were going to town on the dead ones. I guess we ow know why the thers died.
Bobby
TomSharland
Groupie

Post by TomSharland »

I still stand by my previous comment

"How many cows do zebs eat in a lifetime"

I'd suggest that the bulk of all meat that the zebs eat if fishy, not steak!

I await sensible response :D

Surly a cardinal couldn't manage a whole caimen :shock:

Tom
Be thankful for wooden floors
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

There may not be cows there, but probably other wild animals, such as wild boar, monkeys, etc. If they venture close or into the water, I'm sure crocs or alligators would get them, as well as pirahnas. These animals are not very neat in cleaning after a meal, so I'm sure there are bits and pieces of the meat (skin, liver, heart, etc.) going down stream. (I think I mentioned this earlier). I would have to assume that the heart is one of the leanest and tender parts of an animals body. And cows are just cheap source of food, which is probably why we use beefheart.

Anyways, regarding my zebras. I cleaned up there tank and decided to reuse the slate tiles that were cut. I made some quick caves out of them and removed all the old rocks, which I used to make little caves. I also put some BW for the night and looked inside of the caves and noticed that both zebs were munching away, even with the lights on. So I guess I'll keep this setup, since I can see more activity in the zebs with the lights.

I also have some frozen krill, which I feed to my other fish once in awhile, that I'll use to feed to my zebs as well.
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

I haven’t tried beef, but I have tried fresh squash and cucumbers with no success. I even tried the par boil method. They seem to only like the algie wafers and shrimp pellets. Is there something more I should try with the veggies or are the pellets O.K.?
Bobby
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I've been mainly feeding my zebs frozen bloodworms. I used to use San Francisco FBW, but it's allot bigger and seems a little messier, compared to what I use now, Hikari FBW. Hikari brand come in sheets, so you can break off the size you need. Plus they're easier to shave into smaller pieces. It's been reported that some zebs have died from choking on unshaved FBW, which is why most people shave them. I also feed them the shrimp pellets, Hikari Carnivore pellets, and I'm going to try some frozen krill.

I feed L-18 Gold nugget and L-333 the same foods, which is FBW, Hikari carnivore pellets, shrimp pellets, blanched zuchini, and frozen peas (skinned).
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

What about Black worms? My LFS has them and says they are great for the fish. I have yet to hear anyone hear mention them. Anything live I am hesitant about putting in the aquarium. Is this justified?
Bobby
marcus
Groupie

Post by marcus »

I feed mine on bloodworm once a week, fish (salmon, cod or mussels) twice a week, veg and soaked flake once a week and there favourite cooked prawns twice a week. On Sunday they don’t get fed.
There is almost nothing left of the prawns in the morning after feeding, it’s totally shredded
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

i guess, zebra is an easy eater. since i feed one of my with sinking wafer in the morning and booldworm in the evening every day. he looks fatter. i guess it downs to the environment. they will eat when they feel comfortable with the tank. if there are plenty of hidding spot, nice condition of water with the right temperature then nothing seem to be a problem.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I haven't taken an aerial shot to see if it's gotten fatter or not, but I'm assuming it's doing well, since it has grown a little more from my last post.

I've given both of them a real varied diet of:
Frozen Blood worms
Beefheart mix (includes beefheart, shrimp, spirulina, vitamins, etc.)
Shrimp pellets
Spirulina discs
Hikari sinking carnivore pellets
Frozen Mysis shrimp

I do know for sure both zebras love FBW, since it's usually always all gone. I can't confirm whether or not they even touch the other stuff, since the amount I put looks about the same or if they do, it's not noticeable.