Shipping a problem?!

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
rhino
Obsessed!!

Shipping a problem?!

Post by rhino »

I know this has been a sore subject as of late in the forum, just curious if anyone else has had a problem with shipments. This is not to open up another bashing session. I need to know about shipping the zebs because besides crazy.eddie, I don’t know of anyone else close to buy from. Shipping might be my only option. I don’t like the idea of shipping live fish; so much could possibly go wrong. Apparently it’s not a problem with so many online fish stores.
Bobby
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

I have regularly bought fish from 1 supplier in the UK, and it's overnight delivery.

Fish transported include L46 pre ban.

L255, very sensitive.

Tropheus Moori.

Others as well.

All survived then thrived.

Also remember when these fish are exported from the wild, the journey will take considerably longer, and many survive, although it is at this point fatalities tend to occur.

My LFS imports some fish from South America, and depending on the exporter the number of fatalities varies.

From this treatment before transport and packaging seem to be determining factor on the number of fatalities.

If the person who is sending them has bred them then you can assume treatment before is pretty good, so you should be okay IMO.

Good Luck

Dave
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I've had two shipped over from Germany to the UK and even with a four hour trip back form the airport to mine they were absolutely fine.
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

Hi, I shipped my own zebra's from germany, i drove myself so admittedly they were handled alot better than with a freight agency.
I double bagged the fish with either 2 small or 1 adult fish per bag with only enough water to cover the fish and filled the bag with oxygen to aid respiration. i then packed the bags tightly into an insulated box (coolbox but they also work as a hotbox) and sealed it and put it in the car. I arrived at the zebra's new home 14 hours later and was absolutley shakin with nerves about opening the box to find dead (expensive) fish. but alas every single fish was alive and in good condition considering the journey, and are still thriving in my tanks today.
Cue celebration beer with my co passenger while i acclimatized the fish at 2am in morning lol

Just thought i would give you my experiance.
Andy
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

well as some may know i have recently had bad luck with recieving shipped zebras which is fault of the shipping company not knowing how to read.

they have been lost since friday which makes three days now. i was suppose to be getting a second batch of babies which are a bit closer and i think i will be making the drive out to pick those up.

anyone have had zebras live through shipping longer than three days?
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I just don't like getting shipped fish, becuase I would hate the idea of the little fish being shaked around like crazy. But many people received shipped fish with no problems, and as you've seen, some people have.

I guess you should cover yourself by finding out if the seller will have some sort of live guarantee and either pay in full or maybe split the cost somehow if not.
John

Post by John »

@ eklikewhoa:

If you can pick them up yourself why put them through shipping?
No sense right?
I also did a pick up in germany like andyaps, took me a 16 hour drive, but i was shure my zebs were handled with the care they deserve.
I handled the zebs also exactly the same way as andyaps and had no problems.

@ andyaps:

Maybe we went to the same breeder :wink:
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

John wrote:@ eklikewhoa:

If you can pick them up yourself why put them through shipping?
No sense right?
I also did a pick up in germany like andyaps, took me a 16 hour drive, but i was shure my zebs were handled with the care they deserve.
I handled the zebs also exactly the same way as andyaps and had no problems.

@ andyaps:

Maybe we went to the same breeder :wink:

well the idea started with getting zebras from two different bloodlines so that in the future if these were to breed it would be strong so i found some in MI and bought some from there and the others will be coming from closer by and i think im gonna make the trip to get them.
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

@ John,
Its a possibilty but i doubt it because i didnt buy babies from a breeder, i bought the whole breeding group as he was selling up so i bought all the adults. i hope the 16 hours was a round trip because it only took me just over 14 to get back to the UK and i drove through holland to the hoekvanholland port. Took me just over 28 hours round driving trip with only a little sleep on the ferry and plenty of caffine lol.
All in the name of a few humbug catfish lol.
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

I've received fish in the past from the South of England to the Midlands and all been fine, the fish in question are discus and they weren't cheap either! Never had a problem whatsoever! I would if possible prefer to collect them though as there are always horror stories but I do think these are outweighed by positive experiences!
rhino
Obsessed!!

Post by rhino »

Has anyone ever bought from http://www.exoticfinds.net/?
Looks like they know their stuff about shipping and they gauranty a breeding set.

Oh, check this outhttp://msnbc.msn.com/id/14834763/?GT1=8506?GT1=8506

New fish found. Just cool to see.
Bobby
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

In this case I would say no news is good news.

People tend to report bad service rather than good, and I think I recall a couple of posts stating they have got fish from this source and no problem.

From what I gather they sell wild caught fish, and if it's L46 your thinking of (they seem to get them pretty regularly) well it really does go against conserving them in the wild. The source of these fish are unknown to me.

If it's another species, well IMO, I would rather avoid a business that is probably knowingly importing something that is to the detriment of it's welfare.

Dave