Shy zebras.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Adam

Shy zebras.

Post by Adam »

I know that zebras are shy by nature but my lot are taking it to the extreme. :x

While they were in the community tank a good number of them would openly feed in front of me. Now that they are in a species tank they do not come out at all. There are a lot of hiding places in the new tank but the old tank had even more places to hide. I'm starting to get a bit worried now as food is often left uneaten during the day this is dispite the tank lights being left off, I was thinking that they probably don't like bright lights. They seem to do all their eating at night, it doesn't matter how much food I put in at night it's always gone by the morning. In the morning I am usually greeted with a pile of poop where the food had been and of course the little buggers are all well in hiding.

When I first put them in the tank some of them were still openly feeding, over the last few weeks this has totally stopped. I was thinking of adding some dither fish in an attempt to build up their confidence to what it use to be when they were in the community tank. I have ruled out any other bottom dwellers for obvious reasons. I have some Rasboras Hengli in my community tank that I was thinking of moving to the zebras tank. They always seem to remain near to the surface of the tank and would appear to be suitable, I'm not sure how they would be with the fast water flow though. What do you guys think?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I personally think they are just getting enough to eat now, so they don't feel like they have to come out and eat immediately or go hungry. It means they are more comfortable with their surroundings now also. I wouldn't change a thing. My colony is never out roaming around looking for food when I'm standing there. If they were, I'd feed them more. Then again, fry are what I'm working for, not getting to see my investment, so maybe I'm just weird! It wouldn't be the first time ;)

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]

Post by Guest »

Sound advice as usual Barbie, I need to remain focused on why I'm keeping zebras and think of the zebras needs before my own. Yes I would love to see them more often but I doubt that the zebras would be happy with this. As you quite rightly pointed out it's more important to get them breeding than being able to see them regularly. As for being weird aren't all fish keepers labelled as weird by "normal" folk?

Thanks for the reassurance, I will leave things as they are. :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sorry that last post was me, just cleared my internet cashe and forgot to login . :roll:
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Don't worry, I've been guilty of setting up my tanks so I can see my fish, but I sort of reverse engineered my thinking for the zebras when I set up their tank. I figured they all must have a spot to hide where they're comfortable, with minimum extra spots, and the best hiding areas near the males cave, so the female that "wins" that spot will have to watch him waggling his money maker at her ;)

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Barbie,

You'll be pleased to know that I've left the zebra tank alone, well until tomorrow anyway. I will be putting some more slate caves in the tank for them, I didn't manage to find any black silicone sealant so I just used the clear stuff instead.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

I admire the discipline of Barbie, but I agree with Adam that I want to see my zebra's.
I want them to breed, but I also have them for their amazing beauty. I want to let them work for their food! :D

I got the same experience. After I moved almost all community fish to the new big tank, the zebra's almost didn't came out anymore.
After a while I returned the three Pearl gourami's to the zebra tank, because they didn't seem to feel well in the new tank, it was too deep I suppose.
Surprisingly the zebra's are coming out more now. Sometimes the gourami's startle the zebra's a little when they come down for the feeding pellets, but because they move quite calmly the zebra's seem to feel comfortable.
I even have the suspicion that the male is breeding again. But I have to check that out first.