Sterilizing by UV-light

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
John

Sterilizing by UV-light

Post by John »

Today i heard a story in the LFS that a lot of zebra's were sterilized before exported (before the ban) by using UV-light on them.
I thought it was bull* , anybody another opinion or even better: knowledge if this is possible on fish ?

John
Andyt.
Groupie

Post by Andyt. »

I'd put that in the BS category. External UV sterilization can't sterlize the interior of the fish... which I believe they would need to do in this case. It just does not make sense...
Our problem is not that the world lacks magic. Our problem is that we don't believe in its magic.
~Marianne Williamson
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

i'd say that your LFS is retarded and trying to hype expensive zeb prices
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

maybe they are housed/quarantined in uv sterilized water before import/export but i dont see how you could sterilize a fish.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

eklikewhoa wrote:maybe they are housed/quarantined in uv sterilized water before import/export but i dont see how you could sterilize a fish.
I'm thinking they were in the QT tank running a UV also.

If a UV was directed towards a living thing, you would damage the eyes. Depending on the length of time it was exposed, it might get a nice tan.

So just watch for blind zebras with a nice tan.
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Well we have had talk about hormones, now UV, lets just ignore it, seems like it is talk for talks sake, no foundation.

Elvis was recently seen on the moon, he had 1000 Zebras, no doubt he can afford it, but do you believe it?

Dave
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Re: Hi

Post by eklikewhoa »

dave wrote:Elvis was recently seen on the moon, he had 1000 Zebras, no doubt he can afford it, but do you believe it?

Dave

did the lfs guy tell you that?
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Re: Hi

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

dave wrote:Well we have had talk about hormones, now UV, lets just ignore it, seems like it is talk for talks sake, no foundation.

Elvis was recently seen on the moon, he had 1000 Zebras, no doubt he can afford it, but do you believe it?

Dave
i hear he got all of his stock from imer, and they came exactly as what he sold them as
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Re: Sterilizing by UV-light

Post by crazie.eddie »

John wrote:Today i heard a story in the LFS that a lot of zebra's were sterilized before exported (before the ban) by using UV-light on them.
I thought it was bull* , anybody another opinion or even better: knowledge if this is possible on fish ?

John
They probably just misinterpreted them or heard him wrong.
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Re: Sterilizing by UV-light

Post by CDNAqua »

John wrote:Today i heard a story in the LFS that a lot of zebra's were sterilized before exported (before the ban) by using UV-light on them.

John
:lol: :roll: :lol:
John

Post by John »

OK, that story is filed under BS (what i allready thought) 8)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

To adults yes, but shine UV light on fertilized eggs and see what happens :P No more fertilized...
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Sounds like some gremlins from the past have been dug up...

Eh Dave?

How do you know that hormones are not bieng used? Can you show me concrete proof that it is impossible to do so?

Editted by Barbie to remove the inappropriate attack that will not be tolerated on the board. You're welcome to your opinion and to disagree, but personal attacks will land you on the other side of the fence looking in.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]