New to Zebras

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Zebra_Pleco_Newb

New to Zebras

Post by Zebra_Pleco_Newb »

I'm planning on getting a couple of these guys cause i thought they looked really pretty. i was wonderig how many can fit in a 15gallon and what are there needs? also i was wondering how to breed them also.
Thanks in Advance
zebra_man
Groupie

Post by zebra_man »

ok this is what i recomend

tank size: 30 gal (min)
substrate: gravel or sand (no more than 1'')
heater: 28-30 Degrees.
filter: canister, eheim would be the best for you.
Current: a few power heads are a must.
MUSTS: cave for male, bog wood for female.
Air: a couple of air stones.
Water: excellent parameters

you could have 1 ZP for every 10 gal that is what im going with (3 in a 130 liter)

To breed: you will nead 1M and 1F (fertile) you will nead a cave like this () and a peice of bog wood for the female, to spawn them they nead to be fully grown adults. Feed them high protein diet to help them make strong eggs and sperm. Once you have all of this wait 1 month for them to settle in, then once you feel they are ready you could add a power head or take one away. Their has bean many sucess in breeding but it started with trial and error, best to research that.

I wish you many happy memories with your L46 and you MUST show some pics ASAP!

Hope this helps!
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

There's no need for powerheads OR a 30 gallon tank. I have a trio happily raising fry in a 20 gallon, no problem. The females couldn't care less if they have bogwood or plain old rocks. I don't have a single air stone in any of my tanks and I use back filters, not canisters that can potentially pollute the tank if the power is off for more than an hour. I also have bare bottom tanks. Obviously the important factor is water quality. It never hurts to take advice from people that actually raise zebras. Luckily there are many of those here too!

If you could be so kind as to read the literally hundreds of posts on the subjects that are already covered here on the board you'll save us all the time of rehashing the same information over and over. Anything that you need clarified we'd be happy to help with :).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Zebra_Pleco_Newb

Post by Zebra_Pleco_Newb »

can Zebra Plecos live with cichlids are is it a bad idea?
dave
Obsessed!!

hi

Post by dave »

a bad idea, as are any tank mates

dave
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

zebra plecos are very shy and timid fish. Preferably, they should be in there own tank or if you really want tank mates, get something is that small and doesn't eat the same food as zebra pleco.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

I keep mine with Cherry shrimp and they make great tank-mates! Not too over-powering (when it comes to feeding time) and they happily pick up all the leftovers, they even help the male keep his entrance free of any debris.

If you want tankmates, keep in-mind you need fish with the same behavior as Zebras - timid, shy and enjoy the strong current. Not too sure what fits that bill.
Frontyking
Obsessed!!

Post by Frontyking »

I've got Harlequin Rasboras(I think that's how you spell it) in my tank together with my Zeb's. They don't mind the strong current and high temp, are timid, are top feeders not bottom feeders so they leave the Zeb's food alone and they don't harass the Zeb's at all.
Just my experience.

HTH

Nick
[url=http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=doctorze]Vote for zebrapleco.com here[/url]
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

is it bad to have only one zebra in a tank without other fish or other zebra?
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

As with any bottom dweller, height of the tank is a very small factor. You want more length and width.
Raul-7 wrote:I keep mine with Cherry shrimp and they make great tank-mates! Not too over-powering (when it comes to feeding time) and they happily pick up all the leftovers, they even help the male keep his entrance free of any debris.

If you want tankmates, keep in-mind you need fish with the same behavior as Zebras - timid, shy and enjoy the strong current. Not too sure what fits that bill.
Good to know. I am planning to move my zebra in with cherry shrimp also.