Tail-less babies.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

KenW
Obsessed!!

Tail-less babies.

Post by KenW »

Has anyone seen this happen? Babies are born with tail and over time their siblings/half siblings fight and the tails are gone on 1 fry or 2 fry. Have had this happen in several different set-ups. Fry left with parents and fry removed from parents in their own 10g. Seem to occur when I have different size fry. Any thoughts are welcome?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Ken

I must admit, it is something I have never een before. What sort of age are we talking?

Is there an age difference between the fry.

DO you have any pictures that mewy give us a better idea of what is happening?

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
dave
Obsessed!!

Just a guess

Post by dave »

Hi Ken

I had a fish that was losing a pectoral fin, this was also with fry born over a 3 month period. Ages 2 to 5 months

The tank was bare with a few slate lean too's, 48 inch long, about 35 young.

Anyway as expected all the fry congregated under the lean toos. A lot of squabbling hence I think the loss of the pectoral fin.

I now fill my tanks with a lot of Mopani Wood, still squabbling but a lot more places to retreat to, the pectoral fin is growing back and I have not seen any damage to the other fish since adding the wood.

Hope this helps

Dave
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Rob and Dave,

Thanks for the response. It is probably due to squabling between them looking for the best hiding, like you say. The ages range anywhere from 1 month to 5 months, give or take. There are around 20 to 30 babies in a 10g. I also have seen this in my breeding tanks where there are only maybe 5 fry in with the adults and parents. All my tanks have many hiding places made from slate, petrified wood, lace rock, and drift wood. My breeder tanks are 20g Long. It is interesting that they like to only congregate in a few locations even when I provide them with many places to take refuge. Of coarse it is always the smallest ones.

I will try getting a photo of the damaged fry.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Ken

I think dave has hit the nail on the head. I was thinking that you were talking about vey young fry.

Squabbling will probably be your answer.

The younger fish do not compete to well against the older. so the gap between the 1 month and 5 month may just be a little too much. Is there any way that you can segregate the tank, i.e perspex with holes drilled in it?

rob
Last edited by Rob on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi again

Post by dave »

Hi Ken

I found if they had a choice between the wood and under slate, they have a preference for the slate, so in my tanks, slate caves and wood, no other slate decoration these days, the young seem to spread out a lot more.

Good luck

Dave
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Re: Tail-less babies.

Post by McEve »

KenW wrote: Babies are born with tail and over time their
High Nitrats will eat waway their tail. that's the first thing that happens when/if you don't change water often enough, or have a tank that is not established - or if you've cleaned it too well ;)

First thing to go is their tails
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Thanks for all your replys.

I thinking I will have to spread them out more base on age and add even more hiding choices. I already have a few tanks setup just for the babies and will add a few more. Shouldn't be a nitrate problem it is around 10ppm. The tails of the larger ones are perfect except for maybe 1 or 2 of the small ones.

Ken