serious buyer for zebra brood stock, ship ok, nd quality!

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

a1fox
Forum Follower

serious buyer for zebra brood stock, ship ok, nd quality!

Post by a1fox »

ok, tried to cram too much into the subject line :) Anyways, I am a serious
buyer, of course in need of females but would consider a breeding group
size negotiable. Quality and age is important, if they've already been
successfully bred that would be a bonus. I'm a long time breeder of
rare species, so I know whats involved, I even plan to keep them long
enough to pedigree the darn things. yes I am that serious. I want to give
this species the chance it needs. We are already well set up to accept
new stock. now we just need to find it. email me, or send me a private
message- breeders and commercial sellers welcome.
a1fox
Forum Follower

do you need more info? Help! I need stock! Please read!

Post by a1fox »

Lets try this again- with some more info about me. The animals I've been
dealing with for the last 20 years are the rarest breed of their species in
North America, and I have been not just a part of its recovery from near
extinction, but have an outstanding reputation for quality and ethics. I
have shipped my specimens throughout North America, and I am not above
sending stock elsewhere or buying it elsewhere. I know specimens are not
easy to get and highly coveted. I always screened buyers to be sure they
werent going to be mass farmed or abused, but treated with the respect
they need and deserve. So much so that many who for whatever reason
would make all attempts possible to return them to me. My policy is to take
them back, so we know they are safe. We are a close knit group of very
die hard breeders, we swap stock, we make arrangements for trades of
a few youngsters out of a breeding with someone else's females. Its not
about making a buck, its about doing right by the animals, only the best
of treatment and I am hoping that there are a few zebra breeders out
there who may now take me more seriously and be willing to begin talk
about the potential for the aquistions of some good stock, not sterile old
specimens you find in odd places (usually males anyway). I know there are zebra breeders out there, so please, a bite, a nibble, anyting! :?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

If you are disappointed that noone have been in touch with you yet, then don't take it personally. It was clear from your first post that you were a serious person, so it doesn't have anything to do with that.

Problem is that most breeders have waiting lists it will take them years to go provide fish for.

Exception here is me as I live in a country with very few people, which means limited market for the Zebra, but I'm more than just a hop skip and jump from you ;)

Be patient and I'm sure you'll hear from somebody soon ;)
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

The fact that you are also requesting breeding sized fish is going to drastically limit the number of people that can reply. If and when I do sell fry, I most definitely don't sell my breeding sized fish. I don't know many serious people that do. Shipping to Canada from the US can also be quite risky and involves a few expensive permits and what not. All of which will be reducing the number of people able to help you, I'm sorry to say.

BTW, there is a documented adult male zebra that's 15 years old (in the hobby, so maybe even older) still raising fry successfully. Age in these fish has yet to become an issue I've heard about.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

I read your post with interest and from what I read your intentions are commendable.

I also agree with the previous posts.

A few points to consider when acquiring these fish, or these may prove to be an obstacle in obtaining these fish.

The majority of people acquiring these fish following the export ban I would consider to be serious, the time trouble and expense in obtaining these fish I guess indicates a degree of seriousness. In addition reports of spawning are increasing all the time, so guess this supports the previous assumption.

Having a large facility I don't think makes somebody more serious than somebody with 2 or 3 tanks. A couple of people on this site have shown a willingness to exchange young fish and as this happens and as a degree of trust builds up I think the willingness to exchange will increase ( There are a lot of scams regarding this fish ). This being the case the network will increase beyond the size of any individuals facility.

I would also say that the majority of fish that become available from hobbyists are F1 at the moment, possibly some F2's, and also good quality fish, there are very few reports of people purchasing deformed fish.

As for pedigreeing, I know of one such scheme in the UK, the source material involves 31 wild fish.

I have no doubt there are people in North America adopting a similar approach to avoid inbreeding.

I have a policy concerning Zoo's which is well documented on this site. A criticism that was levelled at me was that I was removing fish from the hobby, and many others to, this has been debated to death over the past months.

The point I am making, is that by taking a stance that somebody is better equipped, or taking the moral high ground, creating a club for serious breeders is not going to endear many people on this site, which in turn may lead to a reluctance of people to let you have fish. Which I think was the initial reason for your post.

Dave
a1fox
Forum Follower

Post by a1fox »

I certainly dont have any objections to taking younger fish. I also understand the shipping issues. I'm also willing to drive to pick up
stock, preferably within 18 hrs drive, and from here that could even
be northern california or ontario and anywhere between those points.
Instant gratification isnt what I'm after
Barbie wrote:The fact that you are also requesting breeding sized fish is going to drastically limit the number of people that can reply. If and when I do sell fry, I most definitely don't sell my breeding sized fish. I don't know many serious people that do. Shipping to Canada from the US can also be quite risky and involves a few expensive permits and what not. All of which will be reducing the number of people able to help you, I'm sorry to say.

BTW, there is a documented adult male zebra that's 15 years old (in the hobby, so maybe even older) still raising fry successfully. Age in these fish has yet to become an issue I've heard about.

Barbie
a1fox
Forum Follower

Re: Hi

Post by a1fox »

I appreciate the response, and I'd like to mention why I point out so
strongly my seriousness.... I have known alot of very wishy washy
people who get in an out of things just for glory, fast gratifiication,
money, etc. I have people coming to me for my animals like that all
the time. I've been around the 'pet store' industry for a long time and
I actually get rather choked when people come to me with one of those
forementioned things on their mind. I literally have to screen people
and make them wait to see if their serious if I don't know them. I can
see why some zebra breeders would be careful who they are selling to
for that reason. I just dont want anyone to get the wrong impression.
I don't particularly like people breeding animals just for profit- like
puppy farms, or factory farms that sterilze what they sell so they get
the market to themselves. I cant be the only one who doesnt approve
of that, and I'm sure even this site has seen a few people looking to
get into zebras to make money. I've seen people throw tens of thousands
of dollars out to purchase stock and equipment then give up.
I am not a large operation- at this time I have 4 large tanks and some
small ones, with only half of those set up only for zebras. I expect more
will happen when other things do, but at this time I'm nothing more
than a hobbyist who loves these fish enough to do what I can to
keep them from disappearing for good. I'm not wealthy, rather the
opposite, so rather than drink, smoke, do drugs, go skiing or
taking a yearly vacation, I put what I do have into 'my life project'.
Personally, I think when a species is as rare and endangered as
these guys are, the 'hobby' of just having them to look at them and
otherwise do nothing is low on my priority list. If they all went to
owners who just want a pretty fish to look at and not reproduce, they
would be gone in no time.
I'm not suggesting a club for serious breeders either. It can get way
too cutthroat and there are more battles than anything. What I like
is a community of zebra lovers who don't want to see them disappear
and where possible help llike minded people do the same. I'm sorry
if I ticked anyone off, I just didn't want anyone looking at me as just
another idiot looking for treasure or something.

dave wrote:I read your post with interest and from what I read your intentions are commendable.

The majority of people acquiring these fish following the export ban I would consider to be serious, the time trouble and expense in obtaining these fish I guess indicates a degree of seriousness. In addition reports of spawning are increasing all the time, so guess this supports the previous assumption.

Having a large facility I don't think makes somebody more serious than somebody with 2 or 3 tanks. A couple of people on this site have shown a willingness to exchange young fish and as this happens and as a degree of trust builds up I think the willingness to exchange will increase ( There are a lot of scams regarding this fish ). This being the case the network will increase beyond the size of any individuals facility.

I have no doubt there are people in North America adopting a similar approach to avoid inbreeding.

I have a policy concerning Zoo's which is well documented on this site. A criticism that was levelled at me was that I was removing fish from the hobby, and many others to, this has been debated to death over the past months.

The point I am making, is that by taking a stance that somebody is better equipped, or taking the moral high ground, creating a club for serious breeders is not going to endear many people on this site, which in turn may lead to a reluctance of people to let you have fish. Which I think was the initial reason for your post.

Dave