Are we serious

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

dave
Obsessed!!

Are we serious

Post by dave »

Now if the posts on planet catfish are true, and the fish really is endangered, and it is listed.

And I know I might get booted off this site for what I am about to say, if so it will happen.

I do know that people will pay a lot of money for L46's, and in this day and age commerce rules, and this will lead to increasing pressure to smuggle them out of Brazil.

In addition when people acquire these fish there is no guarantee that they will breed them. The cost is also prohibitive for most, especially if they are trying to obtain fish from different blood stock.

The demand for this fish, I guess is a little self defeating for conservation purposes. Everbody who can buy 2 or 3 fish from 1 source is concentrating the gene pool, and surely we want to diversify it. So I would say to potential purchasers, please try and obtain from more than one source as wild are no longer available.

I also think the above may make the fish fairly exclusive, generally I think this is a bad thing, but to conserve this species I reckon it is essential.

It seems to me the aquarist has created the demand for the over fishing of the Xingu for L46's, any ideas about how to redress the balance.

Dave
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Re: Are we serious

Post by Raul-7 »

dave wrote:Now if the posts on planet catfish are true, and the fish really is endangered, and it is listed.

And I know I might get booted off this site for what I am about to say, if so it will happen.

I do know that people will pay a lot of money for L46's, and in this day and age commerce rules, and this will lead to increasing pressure to smuggle them out of Brazil.

In addition when people acquire these fish there is no guarantee that they will breed them. The cost is also prohibitive for most, especially if they are trying to obtain fish from different blood stock.

The demand for this fish, I guess is a little self defeating for conservation purposes. Everbody who can buy 2 or 3 fish from 1 source is concentrating the gene pool, and surely we want to diversify it. So I would say to potential purchasers, please try and obtain from more than one source as wild are no longer available.

I also think the above may make the fish fairly exclusive, generally I think this is a bad thing, but to conserve this species I reckon it is essential.

It seems to me the aquarist has created the demand for the over fishing of the Xingu for L46's, any ideas about how to redress the balance.

Dave
Read this: http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/show ... hp?t=18236

I made one suggestion on how to help conserve the species, and it seems it is already happening within the UK.