Crossbreeds...

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Sven T.
Groupie

Post by Sven T. »

Hi,

I don'tknow were they wantto publish (if they even want!). I will ask them.

Sven
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Re: Separate species?

Post by McEve »

Andyt. wrote:Wouldn't that imply that these are simply variants of the same species?
Nature is made so that species that live together are preventing them from interbreeding by making it gentecially impossible.

With other spieces it is not nessesary to make it genetically impossible if they live in geographically different areas.

From what I understand it isn't always all that easy to determine how a spieces should be defined even. It's not enough to say "fertile offspring = same spieces"
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Hybrids won't be recognized by DATZ or anyone anytime soon, IMO. Most steps will be to prevent it's reoccurence and encourage people to enjoy the beautiful fish you can find in nature, not play god and build your own. There are already enough fish I can't get identified available, let alone adding yet more soup into the mix. The idea of long fin zebras had the entire board in an uproar once already. That's just breeding for a specific trait, let alone polluting the gene pool of a fish that's hard enough to get in the first place!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I couldn't agree more. Let's get natures work classified and scientifically described before we even start thinking of crossbreeding, which btw should be totally unnessesary when you consider the diversity of catfish already present.

considering the varieties available: stripes, spots, marble, multicolored, solid color, blue, black, green, white, red, orange, yellow.. did I forget something..?

Surely it should be possible to find something you like wich is already created by nature?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

McEve wrote:I couldn't agree more. Let's get natures work classified and scientifically described before we even start thinking of crossbreeding, which btw should be totally unnessesary when you consider the diversity of catfish already present.

considering the varieties available: stripes, spots, marble, multicolored, solid color, blue, black, green, white, red, orange, yellow.. did I forget something..?

Surely it should be possible to find something you like wich is already created by nature?
Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree 110%.
Sven T.
Groupie

Post by Sven T. »

Hi,

one thing I forgot to say:

Those cross-bred plecos were made purposeless. The keepers of those plecos don't give them away to others to avoid their diffusion.
Hybrids won't be recognized by DATZ or anyone anytime soon, IMO
Hybridization is a very interesting topic and very important for every serious breeder. So why shouldn't DATZ write about it!?

Sven
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Hybridization is a very interesting topic and very important for every serious breeder. So why shouldn't DATZ write about it!?
I'm not sure Barbie said it couldn't be written about...she said 'recognised' which for me is a big difference.

Why though should hybridization be an important topic for a serious breeder and what's a serious breeder? A commercial breeder?...Or am I potentially a serious breeder or perhaps only when I start creating hybrids do I become a serious breeder?

I have no wish to ever start hybridizing fish. I believe there's far more fish out there already than I will ever be able to keep or breed so why would I need to create new strains...it's not like they ever seem to turn out well in the long run anyway.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I'm ok with articles about it. I'm not ok with recognizing them as any form of a species or as anything but an accident, basically.

In my mind, the long fin variants aren't even something I'm sure i approve of. I do know that they sell for twice as much as regular Ancistrus and breed exactly the same way, so I have some. I don't mind how they look, much like a veil angel. Yet I go to great lengths to make sure none of the fish in my house hybridize by the way I stock tanks and what not. Each person has their own comfort level I guess.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
madmoroccan
Obsessed!!

Post by madmoroccan »

Everybodies opinion is valuable to this topic...

Though I must stress the reason I started this topic...

I am interested only in documented cases of accidental crosses... Why? For pure knowledge. Seeing an image of these crosses would deter anybody considering attepmting them because their curiousity has been satisfied.

There is no sinister underlying motive... Simply to do a "freak circus" show so to speak so that any newbies thinking of keeping Different types of Hypancistrus together would rethink.

I am still waiting on reliable links to articles of such occurences. That would put this topic to sleep.

Sincerely

Bader.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/madmoroccan/zebcam.jpg[/img]