Hey Plastic... re: hydor heater..

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

mykil32
Groupie

Hey Plastic... re: hydor heater..

Post by mykil32 »

"No we can't...you're asking the impossible. Confused

If you wanna get a good heater though, I recommend a Hydor ETH.... a novel design which I'm surprised no-one has done before. Excellent heater, especially if you have an external filter..."

have you used one of these? I was wondering if you've ever hooked it up to the inlet hose instead ? If you havent, please forgive the waste of space...
thanks
Adam

Post by Adam »

I have the ETH 300 version that has been lying around for about a year, another one of those impulse buys. :roll: The instructions do not say that it should be installed on the return side of a canister/sump filter, but the picture on the box suggests that it should be. Whilst I can not comment on it's performance/reliability I would suggest that it would be better to install it on the return feed so as to prevent premature clogging of the heater chamber.

Adam
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I've got one installed on my return feed as I figured it was the best place to put it. I can't remember having an issue with the instructions..but then I'm not one to read instructions anyway :D

I have it pretty much like the diagram listed on the hydor site if you go to products and then ETH heaters (bottom of page):

http://www.hydor.it/index_en.htm
mykil32
Groupie

Post by mykil32 »

gracias , muchacho's!!
Piper

Post by Piper »

I have two of these set up on my eheim 2026, once I get my second filter ill have one on each filter. 6 Months old no problems so far.

Saves having a nasty looking heater in the tank although they are a pain to unhook and clean out.
70 Gal - Not much in there at the mo, wonder what could go in ???????
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Just a word of warning, a member on another had his and it worked perfectly for little more than a year. Then one day he noticed the thermostat was stuck on 'on' position and it ended up killing all his fish (I believe the temperature was 91F). If you plan on using it (or any heater for that matter) I suggest you invest in an external heater controller.

I currently have a Ranco controller and it works perfectly - no fear of any thermostat issues and less fiddling inside the tank.