Zebre Q.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

PLECO_MAN

Zebre Q.

Post by PLECO_MAN »

Hello everyone and i am new to this forum and happy to be here, in time i hope i will be able to answer the Q. im going to ask.

I love the Zebra Pleco, i stays small and look adorable, Everytime i went into the LFS i saw these guys and thought awww, but then i looked at the price tag on the the tank and nearly fained $450! :shock: (NZD) wow did this turn me off this fish, but ive bean thiking that who cares about the price! :wink: and decided mayby to get 6 of them! this my situation

I have got me a 75 gallon aquarium, with all the best equipment that i can buy! from the expensive lighting system to a huge canister filter wich is designed for a much bigger aquarium i think a 100 gallon, i also got me a great reliable heater (lost sum guppys to a heater falfunction :( :( :( ))
so i only bought the best for this fish.

With my aquarium i want to breed these guys and sell them at a much lower price (half) so im going to go with a species tank. Also with 6 will i get pairs? What are the things i should look for in a quality specie? also i want a peice of art in my livingroom, do they do good in PLANTED aquariums? FULLY?
PLECO_MAN

Post by PLECO_MAN »

also could i keep more Zebras mayby 10-12?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Also with 6 will i get pairs?

Maybe you will or maybe you won't...obviously we cannot say what sex they are for sure. Females do seem to be somewhat more elusive than males. Have a look through the species data section or in the article section, (namely an article done by McEve which explains the differences between the sexes). If you can become confident telling the sexes apart yourself then it give you mcuh better chance of getting both sexes when you buy them.
What are the things i should look for in a quality specie?
The same things you look for in any other species when buying them. Good colour, no sings of disease, activity, breathing rate.
Also i want a peice of art in my livingroom, do they do good in PLANTED aquariums? FULLY?

They'll live fine in a planted aquarium, whether it is the best enviroment to enduce spawning, I would have thought not. Plant matter is probably minimal or more likely non-exsistent where they come from. However, some other members here do keep them with plants...and I'm sure you'll be able to find at least one member who's bred them in a planted tank, as there is always the exception to the rule>
Zebra's also like a high oxygen content and a high turnover of tank water. They live in a fast flowing river.

Whether you can hold 12 depends on your tank dimensions but as it's a 75gal I would reckon it's probably ok.

Please read the aritcles section of this site...it will give you the low down on all the basics and probably answer all of the next lot of questions you'll be wanting to ask. :D

Plastic Mac
PLECO_MAN

Post by PLECO_MAN »

i live in a wee country a little while of Australia called New Zealnd (youve probley hurd of it) anyway their is a whole of 3 :o :shock: :!: in our country that have bean registered... anyway their is 9 main importer here in NZ and they dont import the zebra because of the cost, and people cant afford to buy them, anyway i am after some breeders who can send out Quality speciems across to NZ, i will pay for everything, or even some importing websites that ship World wide. this is why i want to breed them and hope to boost their numbers in NZ
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I did hear of someone in Aus, selling zebra's on Friday last week, he may still have some.

If you're interested pm me and I'll send you his name and number.
PLECO_MAN

Post by PLECO_MAN »

Q. is it a problem if fish cross breed?