intresting theory

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

thebuddy
Obsessed!!

intresting theory

Post by thebuddy »

i was reading the yearly magizine "aquarium USA" when i came across an article about rams and it says that they like PH of 5.5-7.5 and a tempature of up to 86 degrees which is what L046's like think these 2 fish are compatable? I think i found a tankmate that i can use anyone think they would eat baby L046's? how big are baby zebs when they leave the cave?

is this idea insane?
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Rams are docile, like most Cichlids, they do not bother or harass tankmates - they only quarell amongst themselves. While some are very aggresive (ie. Kribs), Rams are fairly timid. The only time they might harm an L46 is if they come too close to the Ram's brood or egg clutch; they even attack my finger if I come too close. :roll: They don't bite hard, just enough to deter a Zebra from trying to eat the clutch - I wouldn't worry about that give the "armor" they have.

I currently have two pairs in my 20G long and they never my juvenile L46; but remember the juvenile only comes out at night, and they are asleep by the time the lights are out. Thus they hardley come in contact with each other. But other than that I think they will be safe, as I currently have Cherry shrimpinglings (baby shrimp?) in the tank with them and they never try to eat them even though they are only 2-3mm long. Though I would still be weary as I've heard stories about adult Cherry's become expensive treats, maybe it's a case of personality.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

thank you this is truly facinating info and i will probly put some in the tank so there is somthing to look at fo my parents they dont think its smart to spend somwere around 1800 dollars to set up the tank and buy fish ill never see and dad loves rams now how many rams could i have with 6 L046's in a 55 gallon tank
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

I have also kept quite a few different Appistos with Zebs as well, A. spec Pandurini, A. Nijjenssi are the ones I kept which had the closest water quality requirements. However, although the water temp and pH/Hardness is similar, when the came out into open waterthey did get pushed around the tank a bit by the high flow rates.
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

i have a pair of rams with my zebras at the moment but i am going to rehome them as they are really not liking the water movement since i added another power head :( very nice fish though
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

how many power heads did you have befoore they didnt like it, how many gallons of water were pumped