Egg question (with Photos)

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
pandadosmares
Groupie

Egg question (with Photos)

Post by pandadosmares »

Hi,

it seems all my L's decided to spawn this time it was my Zebras, but i can only see what seems to be the "egg shells" no babys around or that i can see.

The question is, are the eggs in fact the babys or the babys pop out of the eggs leaving just the tinny ball empty?

I manage to take a picture of the empty eggs will post later.

Thanks
Last edited by pandadosmares on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

If your L46's have spawned then congratulations! :D

The eggs are not the babies though....they should come out leaving an empty shell. Not having been in the lucky position to see mine spawn yet I cannot go into much more detail than I have done already but I would be surprised to learn if it's normal for the 'egg shells' to be lying round the tank after the fry have hatched.

As a side note of interest, does anyone knwo what happens to the shells? ie. considering the male may not eat for the week or so while he tends to the eggs..will he then eat the shells as a source of protein once the fry have hatched?
pandadosmares
Groupie

Post by pandadosmares »

Well i was amazed too by that, as i never saw them hatch i only noticed some signs of fight the spawn must have happened during the night.

i will post the photos later on wend i arrive home

Thanks
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

Well done on the spawn but im sorry to say that once the fry hatch they are attached to the egg and will spend the next week or so eating the egg yolk until totally consumed they should also be still in the back of the cave. I can only assume that the dad has ate them or kicked them out for some reason, perhaps there are still more in the cave though, if the dad is still in the cave fanning away its a sure sign there are more eggs/fry in there.

The good news is that what a lot of people have found is that once they start then they continue to keep spawning, unfortunatley this has not been the case with me but perhaps u will have more luck.
pandadosmares
Groupie

Post by pandadosmares »

now some photos

Well what was in the eggs isnt there anymore, good meal or some babys hidding?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

wow, I've never seen that before but is sure does look like empty Zebra eggs :D The male would usually eat the eggshells, so I would think it's very unusual to find them lying around like that. That's how it looked like after I artficially hatched a spawn - no father present to take care of the shell. That is until I put a snail in the fry trap to help free the last one, they ate the shells!

I don't know why it happened like this in your tank, but I would treat the tank as though there was babies in there.

Glad to see you still around and are succesful pandadosmares! :D
Tom Kvitnes
Groupie

Post by Tom Kvitnes »

Hi !

I have seen this happend on some spawns, without being able to explain it. Maybe the male just wasnt hungry :-)
But it definatly means that the eggs are hatched, so it should be youngsters in your tank :-)

Regards

Tom
pandadosmares
Groupie

Post by pandadosmares »

:D im glad to read your coments but i cant find no youngsters, theres one cave i cant look inside but the male is inside (cross my finguers)

Maybe in a few days i get suprised :D
pandadosmares
Groupie

Post by pandadosmares »

Well i think theres no youngsters cos i still cant find them :( maybe next time

The good news is that my male L316 decided to spawn again with the other female :D
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Some people I have talked to in the past with harder water see these "shells" . My theory was that it might be calcification. I have never seen "egg shells" on any fish that I have spawned, but my water is very soft

Most fish absorb the egg sack and it becomes their stomach area. When the fry eat in the first weeks, the sack re expands and looks like the egg sack is back
pandadosmares
Groupie

Post by pandadosmares »

no babys till now :(

back to the drawing board
SilverSurfer
Forum Follower

Post by SilverSurfer »

I know this has been out for a bit, i have seen this once. It was in a spawning of ABN's. Clump of "ghost eggs" it seemed to me. Which was very odd as day before the clump was yellow and in the cave, so im not really sure at all what they are, how they came to be like they are. odd.
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/SilverSurfer05/silversurfer.gif[/img]
october004
Groupie

Post by october004 »

I had that very thing after my bristlenose spawned. It is just the outer stuff that holds the eggs together and to the cave. at least that is my opinion