caves

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

thebuddy
Obsessed!!

caves

Post by thebuddy »

if i pile up rocks do i need spawning caves or can i just leave gaps in the rocks that are like cave for them to spawn in somhow in the wild i doupt they have perfectly alighned breeder caves :P

also what types of rocks wont mess with the PH?
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

No you can't really do what your suggesting...breeding caves are by far the best solution.

Lets assume you create your rockwork and make the relevant size caves within the rockwork...the following problems may ensue:

Zebs need a high turnover of water within the tank..but where they spawn their eggs they like the water to be much slower...if you have water rushing round the tank you cannot guarantee it won't be also rushing through gaps in the rock and into their breeding sections....which may put them off breeeding all together.

Secondly...you cannot make perfect caves out of rockwork...what if the eggs fall down a gap within the rockwork that the male cannot access...and so leaves them?

Of course the pro's for using pre-made caves are valid too...they're the right size to begin with, you have easy accessto the eggs if you need or wish to move them. You cannot do these things, as easily, if you use rockwork to make you caves.

In short, I think you're better with caves.
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

k ill place the caves in rock work
if its so hard to create caves with rock how do they ever breed in the wild O_O
Thebuddy is planning his tank