inspiratoin

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

thebuddy
Obsessed!!

inspiratoin

Post by thebuddy »

anyone know were one can find some good images of planted tank for inspiratoin the last project converting a a 29 gallon beutifly planted tank with wonderful fish into a puffer tank was a falure so far >_> (all the plants had bearded algae)
so i need an idea of what makes a tank look good (my dad did the 29 that i toar up)
Thebuddy is planning his tank
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

How serious are you willing to go with it?

Here's a great site with the basics on how to successfully keep a planted aquarium: http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articles/ ... index.html . The key is to understand why you got an algae infestation - most always a nutrient imbalance - and how to solve. Thus next time you won't have to suffer and actually enjoy keep plants alive.

This site also has an impressive gallery by some great aquascapers such as Luis Navarro, Jeff Senske under Eye Candy.

There is also the AGA Aquascaping Contest website: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005.cgi
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I've got a planted puffer tank... And it's FULL of plants. As said in the previous post, get to know your water and other factors - tank lighting, natural lighting, circulation, etc... Find plants that work for the conditions you've got. And make sure you do your water changes! In my early days of fishkeeping, I had lots of problems with algae - mostly string algae though. But I think that was down to not enough water changes and general poor tank maintenance.

In my puffer tank I've got a tall piece of bogwood which has tons of moss and bolbitis all over it which gives a great big explosion of foliage for the puffers to investigate. They love it! :) I also have a mini Amazon sword type thing in there, some crypts and echinodorus to have more random plants popping up here and there from the substrate, breaking up the line of vision in the tank to avoid too much aggression between the puffers and just to make it more interesting for them. I also don't worry too much about tankscaping... I plant them vaguely where I want them and let them grow to their hearts content. As long as I can clean the tank properly, it's fine with me, and the fish love it.

My early inspiration was, of course, Takashi Amano, but without intense lighting, etc, those sort of creations were a bit out of my reach!
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

o i know why the beared algae grew dad was doing a horible job now the problem in the puffer tank was i didnt have much of a plan when i started and i just winged it its become a little better... but i would still like some ideas for the L046 tank

heres a good questoin ya know how discus need a high temp? well can the plants that survive with discus survive with L046's? if not i think i need to find some that will survive i never did like unplanted tanks
thebuddy
Obsessed!!

Post by thebuddy »

mindy care to post a pic of the puffer tank? it sounds buetiful
PS what kind of puffs?