Mate first eat later!

If you've got a breeding project on at the moment, (preferably fish related), let us know and you might even get added to the spawn list..whe....hey!

19wiggles86
Groupie

Mate first eat later!

Post by 19wiggles86 »

Hi guys,

It was a freezing cold day with snow to add to the lack of warmth. However the day before (Saturday) we had promised ourselves to go to Joe Hill Aquatics at Whitely Bay. So after a 30 minute ice walk and 30 minute metro ride (there was work on the line) we made it . Just to chip in here its a small shop with a great selection of L no's available.
We were in there for a good hour chatting to Neil (shop owner) before we left and had lunch.
We had promised ourselves we wouldn't buy anything, however you know how it its. You see a little bristlenose smiling at you from under a filter and you know you have to take him home! We also got him a lady friend. However, Neil said she was blind (someone had brought her in). But we took her anyway (with a £2 discount). After their first metro ride they were soon settled in. However, as it always is with new fish, they didn't eat the corgette I offered. The following night I tried algae wafers, but they had other things on their dirty little minds...
I awoke to find a large mass of eggs at the top right corner of their cave (one of lyretails hypancistrus ones, it must have been a tight squeeze). Obviously the female had enough sight to get the job done, so to speak.
Its our first pleco spawn, so fingers crossed, everything will go well. :D
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

congratz! :D post some piccies up mate
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
19wiggles86
Groupie

Post by 19wiggles86 »

Hi andrewcoxon,

I have tried to get some photos. However, my male is making things pretty difficult. One other problem is that the tank is on the floor. Lol I'll be getting a stand soon enough.
Sorry for the silly question, but how do you add an image to a post? :oops:
Oh one other thing. I know people have mentioned about tipping the cave back, so that the male doesn't fan the eggs out. Has anyone ever seen the male do this himself. As prior to any spawning, my male was digging under the cave and seemed to be pushing it up.
dave
Obsessed!!

Post by dave »

Yes, and I syphoned it up, and to my surprise syphoned up another 5.

Dave