tank mates for zebras?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

tank mates for zebras?

Post by andrewcoxon »

im buying a small group of zebras (4 at around 5cm long) which i will try to breed a little way in the future (i.e once iv sexed them correctly & either swapped or bought another couple of fish to use for breeding) but my question is would i be able to have a few tank mates in with these 4 whilst they are not breeding? i know they are not good at competing for food ect but i have seen photos of other peoples zebras tanks with things like neon tetras in the same tank.

any info would be great,

all the best,

andrew coxon
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

There are a few discussions on this one.

Check out the following links

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... =tankmates

there are plenty more, but you would be best doing a serch using the search facility on the toolbar above. Search for "Tankmates"

This is definately one to go into the FAQ's!

have fun!

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

thanks for your help rob!

all the best,

andy
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

enjoy! :lol: :lol:

red cherry shrimp seem to popular at the moment although I know snr69 put some in his tank and they dissapeared. Could be worth looking into.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

Rob wrote:enjoy! :lol: :lol:

red cherry shrimp seem to popular at the moment although I know snr69 put some in his tank and they dissapeared. Could be worth looking into.

rob
I second that! :D

Cherry's are great for Zebra tanks! For one, they are timid; they are very weary of anything that comes near them so they don't compete with the Zebra's for food, even the juveniles - they simply pick up the leftovers. Secondly, they breed like crazy; I just added 6 juveniles two weeks ago and already one of the females is pregnant with over 30 eggs. Thirdly, they are great clean up crew; they eat algae off the mosses and plants whenever they can, they sift through the sand and eat up dead debris. Not to mention they are very entertaining; sometimes I find the males ride the current through the water floating from end of the tank to the other, they even have heirachy at feeding time. Of course most importantly, the brilliant colors the females exhibit (the pregnant Cherry is a very bright red). I highly recommend them for any planted tank!
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

thanks raul, i think i will buy some! there's some for sale on ebay now... quite pricey tho.. :)
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

andrewcoxon wrote:thanks raul, i think i will buy some! there's some for sale on ebay now... quite pricey tho.. :)
If you're in the US I can get you a great deal with the seller I bought mine from. Just PM me.