Wild caught and captive bred breeding question?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
big Spence

Wild caught and captive bred breeding question?

Post by big Spence »

Hi just wanted to ask a question on the zebra's does it make any difference if the fish are wild imports or captive bred when breeding, ie are there any differences such as the wild ones breed more freely :oops: etc?

Thanks in advance :)
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

In theory, captive bred fish should spawn more readily. There aren't enough available generations of captive bred fish hanging around to be reliably studied though, as far as I know.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

captive bred are much easier it takes at least 2-2.5 years for them to start breeding but this are only the females and using wild adult males the F1 fish even starts at a very small size I would say 2 inches TL maybe smaller I will try to measure the fish just to be accurate. while the F1 males are not yet interested in breeding I was not very keen to give them there own tank and caves to test if they would breed.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi I tend to agree with Zebra046 on this one. whether Captive Bred or not, the males seem to reach sexual maturity later than the females. Although none of my initial fry have bred, they have experienced some of the tell-tale signs when placed with a mature wild caught male.

As barbie stated, they should technically be easier to breed if born in captivity, quite simply due to the fact they are already conditioned for that environment.

Zebra046, do you find there is an increas in frequency at all with the F1's breeding?

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

Rob,
I am not sure exactly on the frequency they spawned, lately I am not able to keep track of my fish nor am able to collect the fry from the main tank but one thing for sure the clutch size is very small and they are breeding with the smaller wild males the bad thing is the fry are mixed with F1 (parents all wild) now the question is are the fry called F1 or F1/2
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I was speaking to a gentleman a few months back who believed that the Bull-Nose" could be bred out of te fish by breeding an F1 with a wild caught male. HAve you experienced any Bullnosed fish with this cross?

F0.5?
:wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Does "bred out of" means you won't get any?

(understanding language question )
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

Hi zebra046,
do you know how big your smallest f1 breeding females are??
i am interreted in this topic as i have heard alot about f1 spawning a lot earlier.
- 10Xadult L-46(4males, 6females)+fry
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-22XDiscus(7breedingpairs)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai