Zebra Aggression

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Orion
Forum Follower

Zebra Aggression

Post by Orion »

I've got 3 Young Zebras... about 3cm each. I've had them for about 3 weeks now, and they've been really nipping each other up. They all lived fine together with the breeder, but now, I can barely keep them together.
My tank has quite a few cave-like hiding spots for them, and I usually keep the light off so they feel more comfortable.

I had a large slab of slate in there and they all lived under that. I saw some nipped fins and removed it, thinking they were fighting over territory. So then one lived on the backside of the filter and the other two behind a PVC tube.
I was cleaning the tank today and noticed that the one from behind the PVC tube was really nipped up. I took him out and put him in a floating breeder trap to make sure he was okay. His right pectoral fin is shorter than the other (bitten off a bit?) and the rest of his fins are pretty frayed.

I'm really worried about him, and the other two as well. I'm going to buy them some more caves (probably from aquabid), but is there anything else I can do to stop this fighting between them? Thanks.
arobles34
Groupie

Post by arobles34 »

Only being about an inch long I don’t think they'll take residence in a cave just yet. They may explore it but I don’t think they'll stay in there for long. The best suggestion I could give is make lots of small crevices with the use of slate and rocks. When they're little they like to be in little nooks and crannies. jmo, maybe one of the more experienced member will chime in....