Good news!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Good news!

Post by Mindy »

Was having a good look 'round the zeb tank last night and lo and behold, I saw a tiny tail under a log. That means that I only lost one fry when I did that giant water change, not two. I only ever found one body anyway. The other one must've somehow escaped the breeder trap and has been at large in the tank without me knowing! Hooray! :D

Interestingly, he's a little bigger now than the three that remain in the trap. Methinks it's way past time to let the youngsters out! And anyway, I've got a FAT female giving my alpha male's cave a nudge, so you never know... :wink:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Good news indeed Mindy.

Keep an eye on the wee fella outside the tank. Definately curious about his progress in comparison to the others. I find the same, dependant on how many are free in the tank.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

My escapee also grew larger than the ones I had in the fry trap. Congrats Mindy, happy for you! :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Well, he's living in a piece of bogwood. I wonder if he's eating that? Hmmm, I'll keep watch and see what happens. 8)

Do you think I should let the other three loose in the tank? I had planned to put them in their own tank so as to keep them separate from their own bloodlines when it comes to breeding, but it will be AGES before it comes to that. They are significantly smaller than the rest of them so I'll be able to tell them apart for some time I should imagine. Plenty of time to set up the other tank. What do you think? Would they be OK, or do you think it might spark off territorial aggression? My tank seems quite peaceful at the moment. I've never had any problems so far - touch wood! :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I let the ones I had in the fry trap loose in the parents tank, and never seen any aggression towards them. The little ones starts bickering after a while though ;) But if the tank has enough hiding places there shouldn't be a problem, not for a year or so anyway.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I think I'll do that. I'll have a good ol' clean first and then let them loose. I have another tank that I intend to set up for the youngsters, but haven't really found the place to set it up yet. Got some rearranging to do! :? This will buy some time to do it properly... and give it PLENTY of time to mature too! Thanks guys...

I thought I might have had a trapping the other night but it wasn't, or at least she's got out or something. But the alpha male is waggling his tail quite flamboyantly at the moment. I'll do a good water change when I clean the tank and maybe it'll work some magic... Just gotta wait and see. :wink: