My new setup

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

arobles34
Groupie

My new setup

Post by arobles34 »

It's still a work in progress...I hope it will be ready for my zebras in a couple of weeks.

Front
Left side
Middle
Right side
The three amigos
My big guy
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Great Tank!!! Im just wondering about the black gravel. I think I might have read somewhere that they dont like black gravel. Dont know for sure, but it shouldnt hurt! Those are some great looking Zebras BTW!!!!! :wink:
arobles34
Groupie

Post by arobles34 »

Really??? They dont like black gravel??

I have a pic of some zebras in a tank with black gravel and thats what gave me the idea. they look great.

Do you think I should change it??

jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

No I wouldnt go and change it! It looks good!!I was just speaking out loud! But if they never breed maybe you should try to change it! :lol:
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Indeed I wrote lately that I changed black gravel by fine, light coloured sand.

The problem with my black gravel however was not the colour. The problem was that it had sharp edges on it.
When I was keeping corydoras on this substrate all their barbels worn away. Also the plants wouldn't grow on this substrate. I am not completely sure if it was a problem for the zebras.
I only observed that after I changed the course gravel by fine sand, the zebras were (supposedly) happily digging in the sand. And the plants are flourishing now! :D

As far as I can see, the grains of your black gravel are quite rounded, so I think that it won't be a problem. Maybe if it is very large grained it could hamper them digging a little. But I really don't know how important that is.