Preparing for the Zebras

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Orion
Forum Follower

Preparing for the Zebras

Post by Orion »

I've just got conformation from both my parents that I can go up to Pittsburgh to collect 2 (hoping to make it 3) young Zebras from a breeder in late January.
As of right now, I have a 20 and 40 gallon tank; I'll be getting a 90 for the holidays. I was thinking of taking all the Platy Fry out of the 20, putting them in the 40 and 90, and then redoing the 20 for the Zebras. Will that be enough space for them?
I've done a TON of reading up on Zebras and I'm hoping that my ideas for a tank set up will be okay... but I still need lots of help/suggestions.
So far I know that:
I want a sand bottom instead of a gravel one.
I need a lot of hiding caves for them. (Tubes and plant pots okay?)
They need a strong water flow- any filter suggestions?
The water needs to be kept at around 80 degrees, maybe a little higher. I'll need suggestions on a heater. (Is is true that they'll suck on heaters and hurt themselves?)
What tank mates are okay? I was thinking of keeping maybe 3 or 4 Platy fry in there, and maybe the 3 cory that are there too, but they can always go in the 90.
And then anything else that you think maybe helpful for starting up this tank.
I also have a rather novice question (I'd much rather be safe than sorry in this case): Will it be okay to keep the water that's in the tank now, redo the tank, and then put the water back in, since it's been cycled? I'm having trouble finding Bio-Spira, and I'd feel better about having water that I know is balanced and okay. Will that work out alright?

Whoo, sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help. Great site you've got here! :wink:
clogwood

preparing for new zebras

Post by clogwood »

I have a breeeding group of 6 zebras in a 20 gallon tank and they are just fine. Pvc tubes did not seem to interest them but slate caves and a lot of driftwood with plenty of nooks and crannys seemed to work for them. Also some stones leaning against the wood gave them more hiding spots. I would start with new water but you could seed it with gravel from an established tank. I cycled mine with pure cleaning ammonia, no perfumes or additives and mine cycled quickly. Where in new jersey are you getting them? Just asking because that is where I am from so if you come up and need help of any kind let me know. Best of luck
Oh yeah, as far as tank mates they stink at competing for food so just keep that in ,ind.
Orion
Forum Follower

Post by Orion »

I'm glad they'll be okay in the 20. I'll give them slate caves and driftwood then, that's sounds nice. I may stick with a few Platy tank mates and let my Cories and Rubber Pleco that are in there enjoy life in the big tank :wink:
On the water, my only problem is that by the time I take out my Platy and have re-arranged the tank (which probably won't be until Big Al's opens again next week), I won't have the full cycle time. I should be getting the little guys on January 23rd, and that won't give me a full month's cycling. Would a mix of new and old water quicken the cycle?
I'm getting the fish in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Kind of close to New Jersey :wink:
Thanks for all the help! :D
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

There's no need to remove all of the water in the 20 gallon, as long as you have a nitrate test kit and can test your levels, IMO. As long as the platies are healthy that is. If you do decide to remove all of the water, you can easily seed the tank again by adding ammonia or fish food as an ammonia source and squeeze out existing filter media from your other cycled tank. It shortens the cycling period pretty dramatically, as does the Marineland product, BioSpira.

A nice healthy and stable tank is one of the very first things on the list of "important" criteria for keeping them, IME. They aren't sensitive to nitrates that are 40ppm or so and I've seen them in tanks that were well over 100ppm, thriving and doing just fine.

Good luck with your new babies :).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Orion
Forum Follower

Post by Orion »

Thanks for all the help :D
Once Big Al's opens again, I'll be off to buy myself some supplies to set up for the little guys!