Ideas for new tank set up

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Caesars
Obsessed!!

Ideas for new tank set up

Post by Caesars »

Hi all

The time came for me to have a separate zeb tank set-up with only zebs in it - not even mid water or top floaters. There will be 12 -14 fish in it and I am planning to leave in any fry that I may (hopefully) get. I was thinking of having a sump so I can put a high power pump for faster water flow, however, I have found fry in my other sump before (having been sucked up by the pumps and travelled at least 1 m in length through biorings etc) and I don't want to risk it.
I would rather leave the fry with the father in the main tank - if at all possible.
I will use fine sand substrate though I would need some tips on cleaning it - I have tried in it the past and all the sand came out with the sediment so I needed to rinse it and put it back in every time (yuk :shock: )

Can you tell me your views about a) size of tank / water capacity, b) degree of danger to the fry if left with dad while other males and females are roaming around free and c) cleaning of substrate!

The tank will be taylor made as most commercial ones achieve volume of water by height and I will need floor space. So any ideas on best depth / width/ hight dimensions are very welcome :D
husky_jim
Obsessed!!

Post by husky_jim »

Hi Marina!

I suggest you get a tank with the following dimensions 120cm Long - 40cm Tall - 60cm Wide which is 280 littre and it has nice footprint for plecs.
As for your consern about sump i have to tell that i am great supporter of the idea of having one and with good designing i believe you will overcome the aforementioned problems.
Now as for the fry i would make a separate tank (like a second sump) in order to house them there and with the advantage of having the same 'water' as the main tank.
I also suggest you to have a 'trickle' filter system,and in the sump to put a great amount of plants (like Ceratophyllum Demersum) which are nitrate eaters and will help your tank's chemistry a lot.

Regards,

Jim :wink:
[b]Jim[/b]
[url=http://www.aquazone.gr][img]http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/uploads/1129493122/tn_gallery_1075_67_7031.jpg[/img][/url]
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Thanks Jim! :D Will 120 cm be enough for caves and special territories for at least 4 males though? (would rather not have any fights and/ or deaths!) I know what you mean about the sump, as U know I am also a great believer in sumps however - you remember what I found in my sump some time ago! :shock: FRY!
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

I'm not sure what your sump looked like but I have a wet/dry built in tank and to over come finding fry in my intake area I've been using fiberglass window screen that has been doubled and inserted over the sump area. I play with the material to ensure it makes a nice barrier so possible fry won't flow underneath the material. You'd have to play with it to get the fit right. I'll take some pictures if it would help.

A warning though, I wasn't sure if the material would hold any chemicals when I would use it, so I soaked it in tank water for 48 hours and then placed it in my tank. So far no ill effects that I'm aware of.

Each week during my water change I take the material out and rinse out any debris or gunk that gets in it. The material does a nice job IMO.

I've tried using filter floss (the blue stuff) and it does work great, but it gets filled up very quickly.
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Mine is kind of similar. I do use the white flossy stuff but I have it at the top of the sump. I suppose if I put it at the top of the column where the water flows in from it would stop any fry going down. But as you say, its too fiddly and you can't be sure .. they are little devils bless them :lol: