Male being harassed

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Male being harassed

Post by McEve »

This is the third spawn for this male. He looks after the young ones really well, I don't even know how many he's got in there this time, as he hasen't left the cave for a second!

The problem, or worry, I have now is that he's being harassed by another male. He hangs outside the cave and doesn't give the male guarding the now one week old fry rest for one moment.

I'm worried he might get stressed enough to eat the fry, or not being able to look after them the way he should/want because of the constant interuptions from the other male.

What should I do, if anything? I'm very tempted to take the fry, but wanted to let him handle it this time, to boost his confidence that he could do it kinda thing I guess :)

(I stole the eggs/frys from the last two spawns and still feel guilty about that)
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi McEVE

First thing please just tell be to shut up if this is a very obvious question, but is it definately a male outside the cave. (I'm so sorry if this is a bit of a silly question) I have saeen my other females trying to get into the cave after other females have spawned.

If so, is there any signs of aggression, i.e red marks on the ends of the pectorial fins, torn tail etc.

Is the male in the cave needing to come out of the cave at all to protect his territory.

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Rob wrote:Hi McEVE

First thing please just tell be to shut up if this is a very obvious question, but is it definately a male outside the cave. (I'm so sorry if this is a bit of a silly question) I have saeen my other females trying to get into the cave after other females have spawned.
It is one of those that I haven't been able to identify 100% yet. It migth be a female, but I have guessed him as a submissive male.
Rob wrote: If so, is there any signs of aggression, i.e red marks on the ends of the pectorial fins, torn tail etc.

Is the male in the cave needing to come out of the cave at all to protect his territory.

rob
No torn fins, but he does need to come out and defend himself. I have seen him chasing the other fish away on several occations, but he's very quickly inside the cave again. There's also heaps of sand thrown away from the entrance of the cave, so I can tell there's been commotion outside the cave during the nights as well.

This has been going on for two days now.