I have an idea

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

discusred wrote:I had all my Zebs (14) in one 200L tank a week ago, but i think it been to many in one tank. So i move over 6 adoults in a anothour tank. And hope i got fry some day:)
I only got fry in the big main tank 1200L whit lots of other fish, and i only get up 2 this time.
Hi there,
I got my zebs in a 1200 tank with other plecs but I was thinking of starting a separate tank for them to spawn. Did you get zebra fry in your big tank? My ancistrus and the L260s and some others spawn readily in the big tank and they don't seem to mind the other plecs. But I don't know how the zebs will behave. Would be interesting to hear your experience.
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Adam wrote:I got some L399 a while back, formerly known as the Belo Monte plec. Personally I think that they rival L46 for beauty, I hope to get them their own tank soon as they are sharing with some L66 at the moment. Incidently a lot of these are showing up labelled as L173 which they are clearly not.

As for other hypansitrus that don't sell as well as the zebra well perhaps the fact that there isn't another species quite as strikingly patterned has something to do with it. Also the fact that they are now scarce has a lot to do with everybody wanting them. I'm pretty sure that if gold nuggets became scarce tomorrow everybody would want them too.

Adam
I am not so sure - they get massive!!! Ask me, I got 7! :lol: I personally adore Acanthicus Adonis and the L25s - I think they are fantastic, but again they are really big fish and very difficult to keep (if only spacewise) for most people. I think zebs have the added advantage of a relatively reasonable fully grown size which most people can accommodate.
I have seen (and owned) only one other type of hypancistrus which nobody knows what it is and which - unfortunately - I lost, during acclimatization (having used a damned product which I subsequently chucked in the bin). The fish was white and had very thin jet black zigzag lines (perfectly parallel and symmetrical) snout to tail. I am telling you, it was putting zebs to shame patternwise .. but ... I have only ever seen 2 of these!