Feed Oyster to Zebra pleco

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

xclsior

Feed Oyster to Zebra pleco

Post by xclsior »

I'm just wondering if anyone try to feed oyster to Zebra pleco? It's softer than clam or cockle.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi xclsior and welcome to the forum.

I can't see why you couldn't feed oysters to zebras, a bit expensive but perhaps the rumoured aphrodisiac properties will get the zebras in the mood. :wink:

Seriously, I would consider the following when feeding any shell fish including oysters to plecos. Make sure that you buy them from a shop and do not collect them yourself from the sea. That way they should be fit for human consumption. Shell fish are filter feeders and are prone to a build up of toxins within their bodies depending on what they feed. There are certain times of the year and in particular parts of the world when they can not be collected. This usually coincides with toxic algal blooms in the sea.(Red Tides)

Always remove any uneaten shellfish the following morning, if you feed overnight. It will quickly go off in the warm water of a zebra tank which is likely to have an adverse effect on water quality.

I feed shell fish to my zebras once in a while and they do seem to like it.

Adam
xclsior

Feeding Oyster to Zebra pleco

Post by xclsior »

Thanks Adam! I'll give it a try. At $5 for a dozen of large oyster, it will take a month for my 3 Zebras to consume. :)