Some help please.

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Some help please.

Post by Plastic Mac »

Any idea what this one is? It looks to me like a male but just in case.. :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hypancistrus-zebr ... dZViewItem
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

That looks like a lady to me....? I'm not 100% though, as some closeups would help :)

Maybe you found one? ;) Lets hear what the others have to say before rushing off and getting it though :lol:

Crossing my fingers for you!
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I almost fell off my chair when i read the word 'female' :D ...fingers crossed that it's the general opinion of everyone!

Thanks McEve
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Does look like a female but then again I'm as bad as you plastic at sexing them!!! :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

*ping* Rob! He's good at looking at the pectoral fins angle, much better than me
Adam

Post by Adam »

It's not easy to tell from the picture but it looks pretty much like a female to me. Would need a side profile shot and an overhead one to be more certain.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

OK I've been in touch with the seller and he's sent me another picture...not really the best angle but pretty clear...hopefully it'll be good enough for a definite sexing.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/ ... lec001.jpg
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

If you look at the article I wrote here: http://www.zebrapleco.com/article2.php , You'll see that females can have pretty long cheek odontodes. The fish on your picture does too. I still think this is a young male now... I'm sorry....

This is not a precise sicense - sexing Zebras LOL I'll ask Rob his opinion...
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Thanks McEve,

I'm remaining hopeful that I have a female in my group already....but I would like to aquire one that was confirmed by everyone on here to be a definite female. I'd already read the article you wrote and very informative it was too(thanks)...part of my problem is I'm one of those people who needs a real control subject to work from. I'm always left doubting myself otherwise. If I had one definite female I could see and compare to others with it would make me that much more confident in my sexing descisions of other future zebras. I guess it's something that just comes with time and practice especially when the differences are so small.

Perhaps we should post a picture of a definite sexed zebra we own for other to try and sex...then after a week the owner can tell us what it is....just for practising and learning purposes. :D

Thanks for all the help.

Plastic Mac
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi genreal shape of a female, but the odontodal growth on the gill plates is more male like.

That aside....I'd say a hairy lady!

rob :wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Plastic Mac wrote: I'm always left doubting myself otherwise. If I had one definite female I could see and compare to others with it would make me that much more confident in my sexing descisions of other future zebras. I guess it's something that just comes with time and practice especially when the differences are so small.
ohh.. but that's just the problem here, there doesn't seem to be any definate rules! I'ts a combination of things, and instict/gutfeeling/guessing too. The only way to 100% sex a Zebra is to see them spawn. Horrible isn't it :lol:

I see Rob has let you know what he thinks, when I first saw the fish I though "oh - lady!" then you start examine the fish closer and thing hmmm... that's not right... and that doesn't fit.....

I would have bought the fish in question :) For what it's worth.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Thanks Rob....nothing wrong with a hairy lady. :D

McEve, your right and I guess part of my problem in sexing them has been assuming that you, Barbie, Rob, Adam etc are always right because your all much more knowledge about zebra's. Therefore it's some talent or the mastering of something that I am as yet still lacking or haven't learnt but I suppose you're all still making a guess or best assumption yourselves. Your right also in it's only really proven when spawning takes place. I'm intending to try and induce spawning later on this month and hopefully flush out a definite female, we'll see :D

I'll keep and eye on the hairy lady and let you know if I win the bid. Thanks.

Dukerider
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI Plastic

McEve's right. There is often no definate science to this unfortunately. I have been proven wrong on many occasions, including with my own "hairy lady" who is one of my best spawners.

good luck

rob
Last edited by Rob on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Plastic Mac wrote: but I suppose you're all still making a guess or best assumption yourselves.
Darn it - busted :lol:

I can only speak for myself, but for me there's always a qualified guessing involved. And I find it much easier with other peoples fish than my own :lol:

Good luck - crossing my fingers it's a female! There's a good chanse it is :)