vegetarian plecos ?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

clogwood

vegetarian plecos ?

Post by clogwood »

I have read volumes of information but don't know anyone personally that I can ask this . Zebras are supposed to eat meat but the only food that gets eaten without a doubt is fresh steamed zuccihni. When fed brine shrimp or blood worms it is difficult to tell if they really eat it. It appears that they might be eating the shrimp and worms and occasional scallop but again I am not sure. Also the wood in the tank seems to be broken into pieces every morning all though I heard they don't eat wood. Anyone that has experience with this or advice it would be greatly appreciateded as I wish to take the best care of these fish as possible. Thank you.
NetsuaiAngel
Obsessed!!

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

When feeding them blood worms sometimes you can see them eating it because they slurp it up like spagetti... well mine does ;) She'll scoot herself over to them and start picking them off, one-by-one.

Sometimes the current in my tank can be too strong to get the directly to the zebra. I will turn off my filter and let the food settle down. After 5 minutes I remove as much of the food that I can and restart the current.

What do you mean that the wood is "broken into pieces"? Are little chunks of the wood disappearing? Do you have a picture to show us?
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

Clogwood,
are the zebras the only fish in the tank?

THere was a thread about that earlier and I think most peoples experience was that they are almost exclusive meat eaters but several members state that they have seen them eat veggies.

Many plecos will chew on wood to help digestion - zebras are not known for eating wood but they certainly like to hang out on it so I wouldn't put it past them.
clogwood

vegetarian pleco

Post by clogwood »

The zebras are the only fish in the tank-species only.The wood is just small pieces and scattered about. They are definitly eating the vegetables as I have seen them jump on it and munch away. I will probably take the advice of shutting off the filter when feeding them worms so they have a better chance of getting to it. I appreciate the help, always worried about these guys more so than my other fish.