Zebra tank setup

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

fishboy
Groupie

Zebra tank setup

Post by fishboy »

If you could go over to planetcatfish under tank setups, you will see my zebra tank setup. But post your comments here please. By the way, over there i am none as laurab5

(Mod edit) http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... hp?t=13021
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi fishboy,

I would go with the suggestions you have received from PC users so far. However you might also want to consider the following:

Make sure that the slate in the aquarium is secured and that there is no danger from a rock slide. It is very easy to inadvertently squash zebras with decor as I have found out. They have a tendency to remain in the path of danger when most other fish would have bolted to safety.

You must get a heater guard for the exposed heater, it would be a real shame to lose a zebra to heater burn after you have gone to such lengths to get them. This should be done sooner rather than later. Another thing to bear in mind is heater failure. An external thermostat controller would help to save your fish in the event that the internal heater fails in the on position. Alternatively you can install two smaller heaters instead so that if one fails it should in theory take longer to cook the tank.

Must you have substrate? My personal view is that if your primary goal is to breed zebras then their tank doesn't need to be a thing of beauty. It needs to be functional more than anything else, for ease of maintenance I choose to not have substrate in my zebra tanks. The main reason is that I do not want there to be any deterioration in water quality caused by uneaten food trapped in the substrate. I consistently over feed my zebras in order to keep them in tip top condition. If I had substrate I would effectively double the length of my maintenance schedule. I know that there are the aesthetics and happiness of the fish arguments to consider but I think that these are outweighed by the overall welfare of the fish. Some say that more bacteria will build up on the floor of a bare bottomed tank. Personally I can not see how this would happen, surely substrate provides a better medium for bacteria growth.

On the filteration/current side of things what you have installed in the tank so far and what you intend to should work just fine. Aim to turn the entire volume of the tank over at least six times an hour. My own tanks have a turnover of 20+ so anywhere in that range will suffice. That said you may want to consider a second filter just in case one filter packs up there will still be some filteration in the tank, a good sized internal filter will do. If it is powerful enough you may not require the power head.

I know that everybody seems to do things a bit differently but if you look closely they are just variations on the same theme. what I have suggested is what works for me and should not be taken as the definitive guide to setting up a zebra species tank. Perhaps when the others chip in you can "pick and mix" the suggestions that suit you the best.

Regards.

Adam

PS. I know it's a bit late but I hope you had a happy birthday. :wink:
Last edited by Adam on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

Thanks for the advice. The substrate isn't even 1/2 an inch thick, only 1/4. I will get a heater guard. I will double check the slate, I will move it as much as current or somr zebras would. My LFS has 2 inch zebras on the list this week. But he doesn't know if they are the real zebras, if they are I will be getting them for $70 each, and I think I will get 10 for this tank. I am going to do this with my QA tank, but no substrate. I might take the substrate out when they are ready to breed.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

where can u get heater guards from?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Fishboy, What are the dimensions of your tank? From your pictures the tank doesn't look big enough for 10 zebras.

Shell, most LFSs should have them. This or similar is what you are after, make sure to check that it fits the brand of heater you have. They do seem be universal though and will fit most heaters.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/acatalog/A778.jpg

Adam
fishboy
Groupie

Post by fishboy »

i am olny planning on getting babies. it is 30x12. I am getting 7-8 babies, it turns out my lfs doesn't have them