Less zeb action since moving tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

minigod
Groupie

Less zeb action since moving tank

Post by minigod »

My 5 zebs had been in a 2.5"x 1"x 1" tank which had a few caves and had a sand substrate and they were very active and always shuffling around the tank day or night.
About a month ago they moved into my 4"x 2"x 2" tank which has small round gravel substrate and 7 caves. Since moving in there they have been very quiet and dont move around like the did in the smaller tank.
Both tanks are/were planted so to give them cover whilst moving around.
Their tankmates are an angelfish, gourami, a load of tetras, 2 black widows and 2 mollies so nothing that would annoy them.

Any ideas what I could do to make them more active?

I wanted to have sand in the bigger tank but decided against it as i wanted to keep my UGF to which i have attached a powerhead about 2.5inches from the substrate to help create a high flowrate along with my fluval 4.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Did you keep them alone in the previous tank?
minigod
Groupie

Post by minigod »

Nope...when the zebs moved the others moved with them. :?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Has the lighting differed at all?

It mgiht be worth trying to recreate the setup used in the smaller tank, to give the impression they are still in it...and slowly had extra items to the rest of the tank as they get used to it.

I have 5 Pseudeutropius Brachypopterus which never used to come out, they spent the whole time huddled together in one corner of the tank....it was only after about 6 months when I changed the spray bar from a horizontal position to vertical one did they come out. Now they spend their whole time in front of the tank and happily swim in every square inch of it. It's amazing how one small change can make such a big difference.

Incidentally I am suffering the same thing with my tank of zebs. They go searching around the tank when the filters go off and food goes in....however the rest of the time they very much sit in their own hidey-space till the next lot of food arrives. Again, I'm sure it'll be some small change that makes the difference, I'm just not sure what it is yet.
minigod
Groupie

Post by minigod »

Instead of opening another thread I thought I'd ask in here, is the way I have my tank setup good or should I tinker with it?

[img=http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5025 ... 8ij.th.png]

Theres a Fluval 4 and a powerhead (650l/h) at the left hand side of the tank. The power head is connected to the UGF. To the right of the tank there is an airstone in an uplift tube connected to the UGF. Oxygen is provided by an airstone on the back wall and 2 air columns towards the front of the tank.

Any ideas very welcome. :) [/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I have never used an UGF filter myself, as I know there's an ongoing debate about wether they are practical or not. Opinions differ a lot on this issue, I guess that's why the discussion never ends :)

An example from the krib:

http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/ugf.html

I've seen some people setting up only part of the tank with a removable type home made UGF-filter, very clever I think, and that might be a better idea for keeping Zebras. http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... ndergravel

Another had divided the tank with a small portion where the gravel and UGF was, otherwise the tank was bare bottomed. Seemed to work good as well, as there was at least one spawn in that tank. I wonder if that was one of Des' tank..? Don't quote me on that though, my memory has failed me before, and I can't find the picture showing the setup.

Hope this helps a little concerning UGF filters anyway...