new zebras

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

shell2310

new zebras

Post by shell2310 »

hi just wondered if i could have some advise? i have a 6 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot tank, with 6 discus, 2 rams, some cories and 3 plecs (tiger plec, royal plec and bristlenose) i also have few clown loaches (which can be removed if needed).

i am looking to add 2 zebra plecs, do you think this combination of fish would be ok for the zeb?

thanks
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Shell.

Not sure if you are the same person that e-mailed me but I thought your tank was 4ft * 1ft * 1ft?
:wink:
However, I do think the size of tank is irrelevant, as I still feel the zebras are best off in a tank by themselves. Any bottom feeders pose as competition to zebras when it comes to feeding, plus the larger plecs can show aggression to other in the tank.

As I said in the e-mail, they will cope just fine with just the discus and a few cories, but you are not providing the best suited environmnet as you will have a relatively slow flow-rate for the discus.

Is there any way you can set up another tank juts for the zebs. If you are movingtheloaches to another tank, is it possible to put the zebs in that tank instead?

Hope this helps

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

hmmm.... I thought clown loaches and Zebras were a particularily bad combo. Severalcases of sudden death I read. I've never kept them together myself, so I do not know, but apparently this has happened enough times for speculations to arise. I can dig up some links if you're interested.

Now we have two Shells? This could be dangerous :lol:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

:lol: not just two shells, a shell231 and a shell2310!

As McEve says, clown loaches, and zebras are a bad idea, the zebs don't get a look in when it comes to the food. Go on... you know it makes sense...set up another tank!!!!!! :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
shell2310

Post by shell2310 »

thankyou for your help and advise everyone, i will be defo removing the clown loaches,let u know how i get on x
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Shell2310 and welcome to the forum. :D

The issue of keeping clown loach with zebras as mentioned by McEve was discussed in this thread: http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... lown+loach

I too would recommend a species tank for the zebras, they do a whole lot better on their own.

Adam