dead zebra

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

jeroentje
Obsessed!!

dead zebra

Post by jeroentje »

today i saw finaly a female that was trapped in a cave.
when i took a closer look i saw that the female looks verry bad
so ik picked up the cave and saw she was dead
she had a lot of wounds on her body

how could she die, was the cave too small?
was the zebra in bad condition?
did the male kill her?

i made this pictures with my shaking hands :cry:

i think this male is the killer

:|
Last edited by jeroentje on Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Sorry to see that you lost a female :cry:

i cant really say why as i am unsure but to me your caves looks very narrow in width :?
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Very sorry to hear and see you loss. Its never easy to lose any fish let alone a Zebra plec.

The cave does look very narrow so it couple be possible that it got stuck but unlikely. Fish often hide when feeling stressed and or unwell so maybe it went there to die (so to speak).
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

sorry to hear that, this looks like a result of an overly aggressive male a very common and dreadful incident that I still have not figured out what causes them to do this I feel you pain and anger.
jeroentje
Obsessed!!

Post by jeroentje »

the cave is wider on the bottom than at the top.
its 1 inch / 2.8 cm wide

maybe the cave was to small AND the male was too aggrassive

here's the male about a month ago

Adam

Post by Adam »

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the femlae zebra, none of us can afford to lose any of these precious little fish. :cry:

I suspect that the size of your cave was a contributing factor in the death of the female. Cave trappings can be a pretty heated affair, downright violent at times. There really needs to be sufficient room for two fish in a cave as the female does quite a bit of moving around in the cave before she spawns. These little guys are spiney and two of them in such close proximity can result in injuries being sustained. A couple of my females have spent some time in QT following a cave trapping.

Sorry mate. :(

Adam
jeroentje
Obsessed!!

Post by jeroentje »

thank's for the reply's :wink:
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

jeroentje,
I'm sorry about your loss.

It seems like the caves need to be tight enough for the zebras to use them but apparently sometimes it is too tight for comfort and this seems logical yet rare.

I have lost an ancistrus who stuck his head into a tube that ended in a T and got angry/scared/frustrated so he got his sideburns to stick out while trying to pull out - he must have gotten himself stuck and ended up dying.

I think this is very rare but unfortunate and it is a possibility that it is what happened.