Packing zebras safely

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Packing zebras safely

Post by Caesars »

Hi all, I have just found a courier for my fish but the sender needs some advice about packing them. There will be 5 zebras and they will be collected around 6 pm from Suffolk to be delivered to me in Manchester by 12 midday next day. Any advice re: packing? Clearly I am concerned they arrive alive, unharmed, and they are as comfortable as possible.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

You'll need a big polystyrene box, one that's used for fish which should be readily available from your LFS.

Once you have the box use as big a bags as you can afford to use for each individual zeb. Make sure you can fit all 5 bags (Fish shop style bags) in the box, bear in mind each bag should be placed on it's side next to each other....this will ensure the largest amount or water surface area available for the little zebs.
Once you've caught each zeb and placed it in the bag, try and pack as much air in as you can. People probably have different opinons, I'd try and use a 40% water to 60% air ratio. Once you've tied the bag get some gaffer/brown tape and tape up the corners of the bag, this will help prevent the zeb from trapping itself in folds of plastic on the journey.
Once you've got all five bags with zebs in taped up lay them down in the box next to each other(not on top) and pack the surrounding area with bubble wrap or something similar to help reduce movement of the bags and keep the heat in.
Once that is done, tape up the polystyrene box and mark it with words like 'fragile' and 'this way up' :D

Then post it :D

That's how I've seen it done in the past and it's worked for me...however don't be under the impression that your going to find a way of couriering them that doesn't leave you constantly wondering how they are, and if they are going to make it ok. Trust me that's going to happen anyway! :D However, assuming you follow the guidelines the chances of anything going wrong are extremely remote, everything should be fine.
Hope it all goes well and let us know what happens :D
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

First, and most importantly, make sure the zebras are fasted for a full day, if not 2 before their trip. That keeps them from polluting the bags and killing themselves with their own waste. This is VERY important.

Secondly, plan on 2 or 3 bags per fish. Plecos are spiny and it would really suck to have the box make it there fine with the plecos left in no water! I fill one bag, then insert it with a half twist into the next bag, so that the corners of the inside bag are at the the flat edge of the next bag. This gives you a nice square flat bottom to the bag, so no worries about corners they can get into. I also do not lay the bags down in the box, as then you have more potential for leaks. I use 1/4 to 1/3 water, and the rest air. Air really IS the important part of the equation as long as the fish have been fasted properly.

Good luck! I ship fish all over the US on a regular basis, but I have yet to enjoy shipping zebras!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Thanks guys, I am receiving the zebs - zeberdee is sending them and he was wondering if he should also put in the bags oxygen blocks. What do you think?
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Oh yes, I forgot to add as barbie stated, use more than one bag for each fish, which helps if the zebs punctures the bags with a spine :oops:

and good point on the fasting of the fish...I always forget something, or two things in this case :oops: :D

I like the idea of placing the bags off centre inside each other which negates the need to use tape on the corners...nice lateral thinking there! :D

However, I don't agree on the 'not placing bags on their side'. It may or may not have an helpful effect on the fish but I don't agree on the possible leaking, especially if your using mutliple bags per fish. If there was a leak it would be minimal due to the extra bags. However, these conditions i've stated are when i've bagged up fish for long travel...and if I tie a bag up with a 150 quid fish inside I can guarantee it's tighter than the security at CIA headquarters! However the same may not be said when fish are being sent to me...and I've never received fish by post so I've no idea how other people do it.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Personally I woudn't. I think they'll have plenty of air to last an overnight trip. Plus if the package is being thrown around a lot the last thing the fish wants is to be repeatedly battered by, or constantly trying to dodge some block thats moving around in the bag as well.

However, like my last statement where I forgot to mention some essential points, Barbie may have other ideas which may either enrich or contradict my last statement. :D In other words, wait till some other people have given their opinion before making a descision :D
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

If you are (or have already) used a courier then I hope it has all worked out. Sound advice has already been offered. However, when using a courier at this time of year you can suffer problems. With fish this valuable I would personally advise you make the trip in person to pick the fish up. Although I'm sure there is good reason why you haven't gone for this option.

Cheers