Slate?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

nesolb
Obsessed!!

Slate?

Post by nesolb »

I've managed to get hold of some old roof slate from a roofing merchants and besides giving it a good clean, Is there anything else I need to do to it before introducing it in to my tank?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thats pretty much it really, a few of the guys here have made their caves out of roofing slate.

Adam
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Cheers Adam.

My zebbies have arrived today and I was just fretting and getting paranoid about imaginery stuff that might need cleaning off the slate.
Adam

Post by Adam »

If you're still worried you can give the slate a soak in boiling water. Most of my tank decor is placed in boiling water before it goes in the tanks, it's especially important with driftwood so as to remove as much of the tannins in the wood as possible. Then again this is not really necessary if you are setting up a black water tank.

Regards.

Adam
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Placing it in boiling water is a good idea, just to be on the safe side. If they are re-claime slate check for any black tar still stuck to the undersides of the slate.

Also it is a good idea to just run soume rough sandpaper over the edges to remove any really sharp bits.

have fun!
rob :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Thanks for the input guys. They are reclaimed slate but I gave them a good clean with a scrubbing brush to get all the surface dirt off and soaked them in boiling water for a few hours. I did place them in the tank where I wanted them but got paranoid that there might be something I missed so took them out again.

I got a decent amount of this slate so I've got a bit of work to do re-sizing and re-shaping to make some crevices and hiding places for them, it's all go isn't it!!

How long would you recommend soaking new driftwood for?

I'm getting hold of some, I believe to be mopani, in the next few days.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I don't presoak mopani wood at all, just rinse it off well. Then again, I like the tannic water look and I do more water changes than most people deem necessary. It's going to be all about the aesthetics of it for you, IMO ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I'm gonna give it a good clean first and then I was thinking of soaking it in boiling water and then in some tank water.

They seem to like the bogwood that I've got in at the moment, this was straight out of one of the tanks at my lfs.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Did all 19 arrive safely? have you got any tank shots with them in?
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

All 19 arrived in perfect health. I don't have any tank shots at the moment cos I want to get them settled in first, watch this space!!
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

if you are still unsure of the slate try placing them in another tank with fish and for now just use clay pots for your zebras to hide
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Got my batch of caves from Captain Caveman on Saturday and a few zebbies have already moved in!!

Big thanks to the captain, they're spot on.
Captain Caveman
Forum Follower

Post by Captain Caveman »

Glad you like them and more importantly the Zebras, cheers.

The Captain.
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/zax1972][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/zax1972.png[/img][/url]