R.O. R.O. R.O. your boat gently down the stream..blah blah..

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

R.O. R.O. R.O. your boat gently down the stream..blah blah..

Post by Plastic Mac »

OK I'm looking to obtain an RO unit but have no real idea what I should be looking for. So I'm hoping someone could help me or point me in the right direction...
I wanna get an RO unit because hopefully I'll have a little zeb turning up next week and figure tap water just isn't going to be good enough. :D

The way I understand it RO removes most, if not all the particulates from the water, including all the nasties and trace elements etc. Now I've also read that if you put a fish into RO water (or pure water) the fish will die pretty soon. The way it read it was the trace elements which are needed, need to be put back into water after the RO process in order for the fish to survive. Is this true and if so, can I buy the relevant trace elements from any fish shop?

I've also been told that if my water ph level is high, which it is in my area...approx 8.2 -8.5 that it will reduce the life effectiveness of any membranes used in the RO unit, due to the high concentration of particulates. And so I require a resin chamber or something like that which will increase the life of the membranes. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Lastly (for now anyway :D ) do they come with tap attachments? I have two tanks at present, 22gal and a 35gal and like to be able to perform water changes of anything upto a third of the tank water every couple of weeks. So with both tanks it roughly works out to 15 gallons per max water change. I can't have to RO unit fitted permanently so I preferably need a small one which I can attach to the kitchen/bathroom taps and leave for the day and then pack it away(space is an issue :( )
Can anyone recommend an RO unit which would fit my needs or give me any tips which may help me in deciding which one to get.

Ok, I know I said that was the last question, but to be honest...I lied! :D

I've been checking RO units out on ebay (it's more my price range :D ) and there are several from america and europe for sale. I'm wondering how easy it's going to be to get replacement filters/membranes or whatever it is I am going to need if I purchase one of them. A lot of them state they use standard size (10" diameter) membranes and so I should be able to acquire them in most fish shops. Does anyone know if there are standard sizes, which would seem logical, or if I should only purchase the membrane from the same manufacturer that made the RO unit in the first place?

Apologies if this does not make sense and/or for any spelling mistakes :D
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Thanks SmithRC that definitly answers a couple of my questions. I probably should of checked the previous forums topics before posting....I always forget to check first! :D