Happy zebra owner of 9 f1;)

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Speeds

Happy zebra owner of 9 f1;)

Post by Speeds »

Hello guys can u please help me to sex my new lovly zebs..
They are about 7 cm TL now..
Thanx guys=)
Attachments
029.JPG
Speeds

Re: Happy zebra owner of 9 f1;)

Post by Speeds »

Some more photos=)
Attachments
030.JPG
031.JPG
032.JPG
033.JPG
har_eh

Post by har_eh »

i think you have 2/3 females but not 100% sure the fish look quite skinny to me.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Speeds

From the LHS going clockwise.

m,m,m,f,m,f,m,f.

Nice looking fish but definately need fattening up a bit. Get some bloodworm and corgette in there :-)

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Speeds

Post by Speeds »

Thank u guys=)
I´m pretty new at zebras but i have breed some other l-nr lika 333,066,007,199 but now i´m looking forward to breed these..
What is your advice, but them all togheter or remove some males??
Sorry for my bad english but i´m from Sweden;-)
Best regards Cheddo
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Cheddo, no worries you english is very impressive :-).

If you have the space I would try to split them up initially, even if it is to make sur ethat they are all gettign teh chance to fatten up. It will be easier to keep an eye on them.

This will also enable you to pick out the dominant males. i.e. The fattest, hairiest ones will grab the best caves first :-).

I personally prefer to try and set up a breeding group of 1 male to 2-3 females. If you can remove the younger males, it gives them a chance to become dominant to be used as breeders at a later date.

Hope this helps.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Speeds

Post by Speeds »

Some other zebs i would like to know the sex of;)
Thank u pros;) :lol:
Attachments
Zebror (2).jpg
Zebror (2).jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 7227 times
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Can't help with sexing, but they look like nice fish.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Just a couple of comments. Sexing zebras is basically some % guesswork unless it is done by venting.

I am a believer in the group or colony approach to plecos. I have always kept mine this way. There are any number of reasons for doing this but there is one I find especially compelling. This observation was the topic of discussion one night in a pleco chat among several hypan breeders. We were talking about which fish were spawning with whom in our tanks. I made the comment that of my two primary males, the alpha male was not the largest male. That is the fish that spawned the most often was not the biggest male. To my surprise the other folks reported the same thing in their tanks as well.

While the ensuing discussion on this was most interesting there was no definitive reason we could conclude as to why this was, only that we all noticed it was true. The surprising thing is how it defied the conventional wisdom that the alpha was always the largest male. To me this provided one of the strongest arguments in favor of colonies vs trios or pairs for most plecos, especially hypans.

I should note that there is a limit to how many fish one can put into any given size tank. I am currently having issues with my wc L-134 group. I have just lost spawn #5. As best as I can tell its due to overcrowding (i.e. I have too many fish in the tank for its size). When one female spawns the next one full of eggs will eat the eggs at the first opportunity in order to get her own chance at spawning with the male. So far the 2nd fm has not tried to spawn with any other male, they just eat each others eggs and I get no fry. This has all been compounded by the fact this is their fist go at spawning.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Have to agree with TTA here, my dominent male that always breeds is not the biggest male in my tank, and in fact, the dominent male pushes all the larger males around, which seems strange.

I have to date, always removed the eggs/fry from my tanks and placed them into fry traps etc, as my females and in fact some males like to eat the eggs.

Very good post and glad its not just my plecs that behave like this.
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
Speeds

Post by Speeds »

Hi Guys=)
I hade a really good christmas present, my first Zebra spawn;)
I seperate 1+3 from my big group of 14 zebs and moved it to a smaller tank(85 liter)and after just 3 weeks they spawned;)
Happy new year brothers and sisters;)
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Congrats on first spawn. 8)
Happy new year.

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.