Musical Chairs...

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Musical Chairs...

Post by Mindy »

...and when the music stopped... this is where everyone ended up...

Remember the little one in the picture the other day, posing in front of her cave? Well... she's been evicted by this fatso. This is the one that was under the log that I was (needlessly) worried about... :roll: Image

And this is the one that hasn't moved from under a piece of slate since I brought him/her(?) home... Today he/she's taken up residence under this flowerpot which I had just moved to one side to get out of the way and hold that plastic plant down... I didn't mean for it to be a residence!

And here's the little one from the cave picture the other day, looking for a new place to live. It tried to go under this rock to find there was already someone there!! I watched it try to get back into the cave but the big fat one above just did that tail flapping thing and evicted it straight away...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Mindy,

Great pictures, your zebras are probably in the process of establishing a pecking order. The best spots as they see it will be taken by the most dominant fish, females are also territorial but to a lesser degree than males.

I noticed that the zebra on the right in the third picture has slight reddening in it's pectoral fin. Probably nothing but just keep an eye on it.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I noticed that too, but I think (hope) it's just something in the tank. Might be a tidgy piece of prima or something. But I will have another look when I get home. I can usually see this one sitting exactly where it is, and I have not noticed damaged fins. But yeah, thanks for pointing it out. Always best to be sure. :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

They look great Mindy :D

It looks like Adam is right about them finding their pecking order, look at this: redish tint on pectoral fins, which only means they they are settling in fine.

Congrats on a job well done! :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Oh the poor thing... I hate to think they've been fighting. But it's to be expected I guess. I will go home and stare at that one when I get home, no doubt. :roll: There are two vacant caves, exactly the same as the other one with the occupant. Maybe I should re-arrange to see if they're more enticing somewhere else... should I? :?:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Mindy, probably best to check the zebra over thoroughly when you get home tonight. As you say it's probably just a bit of prima.

I wouldn't bother moving the caves, best to let them settle in first before causing more upheaval.

McEve, if I remeber correctly Popeye the sailor forearms made a full recovery and quite quickly too. It just goes to show that they are quite capable of recovering from injuries without our help. It's still best to keep a close eye on things though.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Is it just the males that fight? Or do the girls roll up their sleeves too?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

You remember right Adam, he was fine the next day actually :)

Girls fight sometimes too, but their fights are much less ferocious, more of a scuffle really.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Well, not knowing whether these are males or females makes it hard to know what sort of fighting would be going on. The one with the pink fin claimed that rock the day he/she went in (since Monday) and hasn't really strayed far from it. If that other little one is trying to find new digs, it could be there are squabbles going on. But you guys think the now homeless one is a girl... Oh I don't know :?

I guess I'll just have to look tonight and see if the fin really is pink or if it's just an optical illusion. I am so prone to worrying! :roll:

I guess, if they're fighting, that means they're coming out which probably means they're out looking for food too... so I guess that's good (?).
Adam

Post by Adam »

No need to worry Mindy, if disputes are taking place it will only be minor as they are not completely settled in yet. They are probably just sizing each other up and trying to carve up little territories for themselves.
The fun will really start when males battle it out for breeding rights. For the time being I believe that you will experience little aggressive behaviour that could cause a problem. I know it is very tempting to rearrange tank decor in an attempt to form territories for them, I know I use to do it myself. They really are best left to sort things out for themselves, just keep an eye on developments, enjoy your fish and stop worrying :wink: .
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Just got home and couldn't see the "homeless" zebra... a moment later she(?) wiggled towards the entrance of one of the other caves... So that's two occupied now! :D Two in caves, one under a log, one under a rock and one under a flowerpot :roll:

Still trying to get a look at the fin on the one with the possible pink spot, but he/she is angled so I can only see the other fin, which is perfectly fine. I will keep looking to see if it moves. I think it was probably only face on for that photo because the other one was trying to get in. A bit of a face off!

Here's a pic of the recently evicted zebra in it's new cave. Not a very clear pic because I had to take it at a funny angle, so it's the best I can do!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

It's all change again. The picture above, with the zebra in it's cave having been evicted by the fat one in the picture above it... well... Fatty has now decided that he/she wants this one now. So, he/she's booted this one out AGAIN and taken over this cave. I now have four zebras out in the tank again, and this big bully languishing in the other one's little lair. And two empty caves again. I've decided... these must all be women, what with not being able to make their minds up about what they want! :lol: