Cave man (woman?)

You can post piccies of your fishies here!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Cave man (woman?)

Post by Mindy »

Out of five zebras and three caves, only one so far has laid claim to a cave. And would you believe, I got the first ever 'in focus' picture ever. He/she came out for a look round and I snapped this. Unfortunately, I don't think it shows any of the details you needs to see to sex him officially, and anyway, he/she's one of the smaller ones so it would be hit and miss anyway. You're welcome to have a go though, if you really want. But really I just wanted to show off this beautiful little critter. I think this might be one of the original two I bought from the shop. Rememer the chewed fins, etc. Just look at him now. Blue fins and all. Very handsome little chap (chapess?). :D
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Breath taking picture! A gorgeous fish!

I think that it is a female.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

So satisfying to catch such a focused picture isn't it. For what its worth, I also think it is female.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

what makes you guys think that? i am still very confused i was just guessing and i thought male lol i no i am wrong but i am trying to pick up the nack for it! is it the shape of the head or the odontodes? please let me know! lol
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

When I observe my zebra's at home I sea that:

- My male has a round, gently sloped forehead and the females have a
steep sloped forehead
- The male is a lot broader and heavily build then the females
- The black stripes of the male are lighter then the females'
- The male has distinct pectorial bristles
- The male is larger
- His behaviour is more aggressive and disastrous

I see easily the difference in sex with my own zebra's,
but I have to admit that pictures of other forum members sometimes confuse me.
Another thing is that I don't have experience with young males, because I bought my male already full grown
(I don't know his age, but the LFS had already bought the fish from another fish keeper).

You can't draw the conclusion that a zebra that enters a cave is a male. Both sexes like hiding places.