Xingu dam building starts 2009

Whats happening in the wild, current issues and debates....oooh this one'll get hot!

inia
Groupie

Xingu dam building starts 2009

Post by inia »

Henrique Anatole from IBAMA says that the Belo Monte dam building starts 2009. It has a huge impact on Xingu river as you can see on this image:

There will be several dams, and upper Xingu will turn into huge "lake" with no oxygen on the bottom. Also the forest on the area will be gone, vegetation rotten on the water.

Bye bye zebras.
I_Need_Zebras
Obsessed!!

Post by I_Need_Zebras »

Where did you read about this?
[b]Stuart[/b]
Looking for L260's - adult or fry, PM with any details
inia
Groupie

Post by inia »

One old member of our local club told us that there is an article in the newest "Amazon" magazine (German fish magazine) by Hans-Georg Evers. Personally I haven't read the article, but I really think he knows what he is talking. If somebody here has the magazine I'd love to hear more about the issue.
403fish
Forum Follower

Post by 403fish »

scary.
Wanted: L174
vandecruz
Forum Follower

Post by vandecruz »

I just cross my finger and hope that our beloved zebras will survive there!!! :?
Addict
Forum Follower

Post by Addict »

I really don't understand why the government doesn't remove the export ban for the L46?? What's the point of keeping them their if the fish will just die anyway as a result of building that dam?

I'd export as many as I can and make sure they'll survive in captivity if I were them, or maybe they can find a suitable part of the river to re-locate them?

The last part will probably be to expensive for a poor country like Brazil. But I really don't get the ban to be honest.
Daniel Machado
Forum Follower

Post by Daniel Machado »

Gotta ask Henrique about more precise information on the Belo Monte dam... :roll:

About the ban/ dam/ amazon destruction relations... IBAMA is a so-called "third-scale" agency of the brazilian government, that is subordinate to a Ministery and the President (in this order), and a small part of the government really cares about the protection of wildlife. A much bigger part works for the "development" of Brazil, through energy production and the expansion of agricutural areas, so you can imagine who "tries to stop the development", right? Yes, IBAMA is the "guilty" here. The president doesn't think a nice little fishie of the Xingu River (or even a big one which is very important to the amazon region fishermen as the dourada, Brachyplatystoma flavicans, in the Madeira River) is something really important, since its protection only slow down the so-called development.

The ban is needed to protect the species, but there is another part of the government that doesn't care about the endangered species protected by the ban. Controversial, but true. :?

Best regards.

Daniel.