im a bit bored and just wondering.............

The lights are dimmed, the fire is blazing in the big old fireplace, your favourite tunes are on in the background, and I'm just about to pour you a big glass of red!!! Let's settle down on the big old leather sofa and have a chat!!
du ma
Obsessed!!

im a bit bored and just wondering.............

Post by du ma »

how many fish tanks do you guys have??

i have a 60 gal - 7 zebras(sub adult)
40 gal - 7 adults
2x 20gal - one for plants, cories, guppies and shrimps. the other one im using as a sump for a DIY wetdry filter(kinda cheezy though :lol: )

i know that some of us have fish rooms, but where else do you guys keep your tanks at?? i have mine in my bedroom. all 4 of them. i dont like my relatives coming over and feed my fishes. especially when im not home. but the tanks makes my room really humid though. what can i do about it? whats the bad side to the humidity in the long run? just curious..
Last edited by du ma on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeroentje
Obsessed!!

Post by jeroentje »

I've got 1 tank in mij bedroom, it's 120 liter, thats 31.7 gallon :wink:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I have 4 tanks. A 4ft all South American planted tank in my living room. But I also have what I call my "animal" room. It houses my chinchillas, my birds and three tanks. A 5gal holding/quarantine tank, an 80L/2ft tank and a 30" tank which is currently maturing to be the tank the Zebs will eventually live in.

Don't know what to do about the humidity... but if your room is sunny, maybe you could have a shelf full of houseplants... They'll LOVE it with all that moisture! :wink:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

30G Planted Tank
10 Assorted Corys.
4 Pygmy Corys
3 Platies
3 Golden Panchax
4 Khuli Loaches
2 Apisto Pandurini (Paduro)
6 White Cloud
1 Hybrid Cichlid

42 Gallon
3 Cichlid Hybrids
4 T-Bar X Convict Hybrids (1 inch)
4 Long Finned Leopard Danios
2 Red Eyed Tetra
4 C Aeneus
4 C Sterbai
2 Scribble Pl*cs (L066)

11 Gallon Q Tank
10 Black Tetra

8 Gallon
8 Glowlight Tetra
4 Red Tailed Zebra Loaches

20 Gallon

4 Zebra Pl*cos (L46)
2 L46 Fry
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Du ma,

I think you can get de-humidifiers that do pretty much the exact opposite of humidifiers. I've never used one myself, but it might be worth looking into. In the long run, I have heard of people with very large tanks (500G +) having problems with mildew and rot in their ceilings and walls due to the evaporation. I don't know if this is something you really need to worry about though.

As for the tank situation, I have a small room in my basement that houses most of my tanks. It's pretty nice, in that it has a door to close it off from the rest of the area, and it's not too large, so it contains heat fairly well. In this room I have:

60G - housing the last of my angels until I sell them
60G - grow out for 6 juvenile discus
50G - quarantine from my latest plec run (a few royals + cardinal tetras)
50G - zeb tank (5 fry, 2 adults coming today :D )
29G - hospital tank, currently w/ 2 discus that had a nematode outbreak
2 X 50G - RO storage, heated, aerated etc.

Then I have my displays:

90G - living room, planted south american. Will eventually house discus, but currently I only have a few corys, a german blue ram, a common plec, and 1 L066.

75G - Den. This tank houses my big royal (13") and my black ghost (7"). Also temporary home for my pair of angels, but I will be letting them go too.

Val
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Duma,

Valhallan is spot on about the dehumidifier, I was having terrible condensation problems due to the tanks in the house until I purchased a dehumidifier. You will be amazed at how much water these things can extract out of the air. I empty the large collection bottle every couple of days and clean out the air filter at monthly intervals. The one I got is rated to do a 4/5 bedroom house even though my house is only 3 bedrooms. Due to the tanks I figured that there would be more condensation than your average household.

I currently have 6 tanks 2 of which are empty at present.

150G empty, looking for something interesting to put in here.
95G empty, colony of zebras going in here soon.
70G community, cardinals corys etc.
45G Zebras.
40G Endlers.
20G Q tank, with some more Endlers just to keep the filters going.

I have two tanks in the garage and the rest are indoors, dotted around the house.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Yergh! I was hoping to avoid another one of these threads, lol. I have 18 tanks, holding 1100 gallons of water currently up in my house. Mainly in the basement ;). I have an empty 125 that will be set up as soon as the bulkheads get here for the sump, and a 180 gallon central system for growouts that I'm working on designing a rack for. The next project after that will be 20 gallon long tanks, probably 15 of them, plumbed together for use as breeding tanks, all on one system, so I can run rainy seasons all at once for the hypancistrus types, and spread them out. Here's a list I copied and pasted from another post on another board with all of my fish. Sort of, lol

Tanganyikans:
11 6"+ C. gibberosa "Moba"
2 B. tricoti
14 A. calvus "zaire black"
18 C. leptosoma "utinta flourescent" (plus 30 fry)
6 A. compressiceps "sumbu dwarf" (in spite of Marcus!) (plus 11 fry)
4 C. pleurospilus "red rainbow"
12 Paracyp. nigripinnis "blue neon"
6 Enantiopus sp. kilesa
2 N. leleupi
2 N. buescheri
4 "Lamprologus" ocellatus "gold"
26 Tropheus sp. red "livua"
4 Eretmodus cyanostictus
12 Cyprichromis leptosoma "grandiose yellow"
24 Syno. petricola (30+ fry also)
4 Syno. multipunctatus
1 M. plagiostoma eel (named Sigmund)

Catfish and loaches:
11 L46 Zebra plecos (plus a few fry)
5 L260 Queen Arabesque plecos (plus 100+ fry)
8 L134 Leopard frog plecos
9 L14 Goldie plecos
2 L239 Blue fin panaque
2 L333 Yellow King Tiger (plus 3 fry and 30 wiggling in the pot)
6 LDA08 Ancistrus claro (plus wigglers in the pot)
6 Longfin Albino Ancistrus (plus 100+ fry)
2 Ancistrus triradiatus
9 Ancistrus sp. albino (plus 100+ fry)
6 L177 Rio Iriri gold nugget plecos
2 L114 Red fin leopard plecos
8 L183 Starry night plecos (plus 20+ fry)
6 Otoncinclus flexilis
7 P. malicauda "red fin oto"
4 P. niger
2 Zebra otocinclus
24 Botia sidthimunki
6 Cory. sterbai (plus 5 fry)
18 Aspidoras sp. black phantom
6 C. perugiae
2 Large S. angelicus
6 kuhli loaches

Rainbows:
12 M. praecox
9 I. werneri
5 P. gertrudae
3 M. herbertaxelrodi
5 Millenium rainbows

Other cichlids:
2 Cobalt discus
9 A. lwanda Peacocks
6 P. nyererei
4 Yellow labs
14 Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi (plus 50+ fry)
Pair P. taeniatus "moliwe"
Male and 2 female D. filamentosa
3 pairs M. ramirezi
1 pair A. cacautoides "triple red"

Miscellaneous stuff:
24 cardinal tetras
9 rummy nose tetras
10 purple emporer tetras
20 amano shrimp
6 red crystal shrimp
Trio blue moscow guppies

I'm quite sure I've forgotten stuff, but it's as complete a list as anywhere ;). The hubby already found the list the last time I posted it and didn't die of shock, so I guess that means it's ok, no? :oops:

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Ok Here are mine:

29G Planted Tank (Eclipse Tank)
5 Blue German Rams
4 Flying Foxes
4 Checker Board Cichlids
3 Rummy nose tetras

24 Gallon (JBJ NANO DX)
5 Adult Zebra Plecos

20 Gallon Tank
4 Zebra Pleco Fry
2 Adult Zebra pleco

200 Gallon
Salt water reef Tank

100 Gallon
Fully planted tank w/ CO2
30 Amano Shrimps
Waiting to put fish in.....

60 Gallon
Cycling as of this moment for the new house of the Zebras

2 X 60 Gallon
The ones at Petco that have four compartments with a outlet and inlet bulkheads
Cycling with plants only and waiting to see if my zebras ever spawn :?

All these tanks except for two are in my Garage/Fish room/Kids area... :lol: the 100 and 200 g are display tanks and are inlaid into the walls so they really don't take up space.
The nano and the eclipse are in the living room as of these moment but that might change of next month.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

awww you're bored with all the "funnies" I'm posting?? :lol:

well, I've got 7 tanks, and live in an apartment, so no fish room for me! I've to three tanks in the kitchen, the two Zebra tanks, 120L each, and one quarantine tank 70L.

There's three tanks in the livingroom, one 250L fish soup, one 120L with LDA33 and GN, and one hexagonal 60L with Cardinals.

Then there's a tiny 25L which houses only plants and moss in the bedroom.

I've got one free corner (well, not really a free corner, it's a free floorspace at the end of the sofa) in the livingroom, I'm thinking a 200L cornertank would fit perfectly there! :D

Oh yes, and another 40L in the kitchen, destined for an experiment I want to do..
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

dang barbie, it seems like youre running a pet shop or something. are you planning to? or youre just too extreme?
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

I live on the Canadian prairies and it's rumored to be drier here than the Sahara desert. I put chapstick on my lips contantly living here at home.
When we went to Las Vegas, we were warned about how dry it was there but I didn't notice a difference at all....in fact I put my chapstick on a lot less.
Anyway, we also just went through 3 years of drought that were proven to be WORSE than the drought of the Dirty Thirties.
Last year, the year after the drought, it did rain...in fact it rained so much in the fall that most ppl here could not get their crops of the fields...including my Dad.
As for humidity in my house? I have 17 tanks ranging from 20g to 48g in a fishroom that measures about 8 x 10 feet. I have a fan in there just to dry out the carpet a bit as I always drip water on the floor, but that room is still "normal" humidity according to a humidity meter I have in there. Upstairs, I have a 55g in the living room and a few more tanks.
Put it this way, for the 21 tanks I have in my house, I had to water my plants at least once to twice a week or they would fall right over with wilt. The plants are much better now that I just re-potted them in much bigger pots.

55g 11 Zebras
10g 3 Zebras 3 ottos
5g 5 adults guppies and a huge amount of fry
20g Quarantine tank with 13 new ottos and 3 pygmy corys
FISHROOM
20g x 10 Some have a few Zebras in them, about 5. One tank has Endlers. Some are empty.
37g x 4 These all have a total of 17 Zebras and 4 L260's
45g x 2 These are empty...new home for future Zebras
48g x 1 I think 8 L260's

I think I have about 31 Zebras left. I just lost about 10 due to KCl issue, but things look ok now.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

was any of the ones you lost the bulldogs you showed us earlier?
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I only listed my tanks before... I didn't think to list what fish I had. They're not very exciting though... but... here goes anyway. My main tank has all kinds of catfish in it. I just love 'em! :wink:

4ft South American Planted Tank
Sterbai Corys
Albino Sterbai Corys
Trilineatus Corys
Brochis Splendens
Farlowella Acus
Otocinclus
Keyhole Cichlids
Cardinal Tetras
Marbled Hatchets
Emporer Tetras
Kerry Tetras
Endlers

2ft (80litre) tank
2 Zebras (temporary home)
Honey Gouramis (male)
Stray female fancy guppy

2ft 5-gal tank
Potaroensis Corys
Apple Snail

30" tank - this will be the Zebra tank when it's mature
Harlequin Rasboras
Honey Gourami (female)
Lemon Tetras
Baby Endlers
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

du ma I manage a fish store at the moment, but that really isn't why I have all the tanks. I had them long before I thought of working in a fish store, hehe. I can't seem to be happy with just one or two types of fish, and I get the most enjoyment out of making the fish comfortable enough that they reproduce, which then, requires yet more tanks... It's a vicious cycle ;). The last time I moved and had to sell down my fish stock, I promised myself I'd only replace it all with fish that would sell effectively if they really got going when they spawned. There are a few common fish kicking around, but most of the ones I work with have been pretty easy to get rid of now. If the store can't get everything I'm raising sold, there always seems to be a wholesaler or another store eager to buy a few boxes!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

McEve....I never lost a single bulldog.
And I now have more than I did before.

I think I have about 6 or 7. Varying degrees of bulldog face. They seem pretty tough. But remember most were all in my community save for a couple I didn't notice? Well, I never had a problem with the community tank because it is not in the fishroom so it does not get as many water changes. I think it was spared a water change when I had problems. My problems were dominant in the fish room where they got a good blast of my KCl water.

I just got 13 more a couple of weeks ago and they were put in after my KCl issue and I have not lost a singe one. And these guys are all brand new so they should have a little stress, but they are alive and doing fine. I notice a few of these new ones are snubs as well. (Most of the smaller ones are captive bred and I think the big ones are the parents and may be wild....and there is a big male with a minor snub nose)
Here is some advice from that older fellow that I have mentioned in the KCl thread. He's the guy who you take your fish to to spawn if you can't do it. And he spawned Zebras.
Anyway, if you remember him now, I asked him about the snub nose face. His opinion? Get ready...

He said it was the food. Meaning their diet. I can't comment anymore than that as those were his words and we did not discuss it further.

Didn't mean to change the subject here on you guys, I'm done now.