Wanted L250

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

Adam

Wanted L250

Post by Adam »

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has seen any L250 in their travels. I've checked all the usual places and made a few phone calls to a number of suppliers. None of them even have it listed on their import lists. It doesn't originate from the Xingu so in theory there shouldn't be that much of a problem getting them. If I remember correctly they are collected from the Iriri.

Please help guys as I must get my hands on some of these fish.

Last edited by Adam on Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hey Adam,

I've also been trying to find them in the US. But no luck so far.
Adam

Post by Adam »

KenW, this is starting to look like a non-starter :( . I think that they may also be known as the belmonte plec, I may be wrong. I've also tried asking for these but have had no luck yet. You might want to try asking Barbie as she seems to be able to get hold of some of the rarer plecs.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Ring up Amwell Aquatics in thornwood essex they said they have every other L number except L46 dont know true that is but worth a shot you want the number?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yes please, I would be surprised if they can get them but then again you never know.
Adam

Post by Adam »

There doesn't appear to be much info on L250, I managed to find a couple of threads on Planet Catfish. However they covered ID issues and not details about the fish. The latest issue of Datz lists it only as Hypancistrus sp. and that it is collected from the Rio Iriri. Apart from the L tag it also has a common name of Queen King Royal, I think this is a far eastern name much like the weird and wonderful names given to some strains of Discus. The pattern of L250 can be extremely variable much like L345 and the two are often mistaken for each other. One final thing you can expect to pay about 500 euros for one that's if you can even find them. Following my numerous phone calls it looks like Germany is going to be the best bet. Funny how the plec trail nearly always leads to Germany.

Here's another picture of L250 to drool over.

KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi adam,

I've been trying to find the L250 since last year. But so far no luck, maybe this year. I managed to get some, what the seller told me are L340, but I wonder if they are. After seeing some postings several months back they maybe L287s. As for the L250, on your last picture I don't know if that is a L250. Look at the pattern on the fins, it doesn't match with the pictures in Datz or Aqualog. It maybe a L236.

Ken
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I too agree that fish looks more like the L236, clear down to the deeply forked tail, then the L250, IMO. There was a big discussion at PC recently that the L236 are highly variable and being called "Hypancistrus sp. belo monte" due to their color patterning, and what not. Hopefully they'll get their taxonomy worked out, so I can be sure of what I got, if I ever get some L236! I think I have the hubby convinced I just honestly might die without them ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Adam,
Yes, the second picture is of a L236.
Des.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi guys,

I would have to agree that the second picture is that of a L236 even though it was labelled as L250. Netherless I think that you will all agee that it is still a cracking fish.

I've been in contact with a supplier in Germany who has some and he has mailed me some pictures. I shall post them here if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I would have to remortgage the house in order to be able to get them as he quoted me a price of 1200 euros each :shock: :shock: .
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Adam,

Please post some of the pictures. Want to see what they are calling L236 look like.

Thanks

Ken
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote: 1200 euros each :shock: :shock: .
OMG :shock: Even I draw the line somewhere, and it's way before 200 euros. They are beautiful, but personally I can't see how you can justify paying that amount of money for one fish, no matter how beautiful it is....

But please post the pictures, it would be interesting to see more pictures of them.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi guys,

I will post the pictures as soon as I can. There appears to be something wrong with the my ISPs server, you will notice that all my pictures have gone. Sent them an email yesterday, hopefully it will be sorted soon.

I mis-read the german suppliers email, his english wasn't too good. He wants 800 euros for L236 and 1200 euros for L250. Mind you they all look like L236 to me. Needless to say I will not be getting any as I can not possibly justify paying that much. I shall look else where, if Barbie can get them for about $180 even with shipping to the UK that would be a much better deal.
Lampy
Forum Follower

L236's

Post by Lampy »

I did manage to bring some in (snicked them out from under the noses of the germans this time :wink: )

here's what they look like.

My biggest concern is that unlike what they say in the new aqualog of all L-numbers, these are much bigger than the stated 8cm size. One of the males was everybit of 4.5 inches not including the tail. The rest were in the 3-4 inch range.

in contrast, here's a pic of the L173 my wholesaler forwarded to me, not sure on the size, but apparently much smaller at this time, than the L236's I have. note also, slightly different color. Aqualog shows these fish to be very very similar, but different locations.

[url]http://www.frybabies.com[/url]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Lampy,

Welcome on board.
I'm a little jealous, since I have been looking for these for quite a while.!!
Dont they look a little like the white form of the L333 as on the 2nd picture on PC, under L333 ?. I was under the impression that L236 had a lot less lines, but obviously they are very variable.
Have you seen any L250's on your lists?
The picture of the L173 seems to have a different shape to the L046, maybe because it is out of water .

Regards,
Des.