Two fry died, what is going wrong?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Two fry died, what is going wrong?

Post by Cascudo »

This week died two fry, one last weekend and the other one yesterday.

I am worried that they might have died of overfeeding. Is that possible?
Or is it because of monotonous feeding?

Till now I was feeding freeze-dried brine shrimp eggs. They eat this well but could they become constipated because of this food?

Water quality can't be a problem, because they stay in a breeding trap in the 160 liter tank and in the breeding trap is an aerator to assure sufficient oxygen.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

How old are they now?
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

They must have hatched about january 9th, so they are two months old by now.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Cascudo,

Was that the only food you used, since they hatched?
I feed mine all types of microworm, grindalworm,catfish pellets, catfish granules (small) and also recently started using McEves recipe for home made frozen food (ground up for the babies). They love this.

Regards,
Des.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Cascudo.

Sorry to hear about the fry. How are the others doing? AT two months They should be past the most delicate stage, so if you can rule out environmental factors I would also suggest diet. Try varying the diet a little as suggested. Try and get hold of a good all rounder like tetra-prima and feed alongisde the other suggestions.

Good luck mate.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Having a full time job and doing a bachelor degree at night and in the weekends, I simply don't have the time to collect and prepare sophisticated baby-food.

I will take Rob's advice and get hold of an all rounder. Yesterday I gave them a piece of a feeding pellet. I fed this before to the already older fry.

The other ones are doing well, especially the two older fry that are getting huge.

Thank you
Last edited by Cascudo on Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

brine shrimp eggs? Sorry if I'm confused, but you are not hatching the eggs? I know that you are not supposed to let shells, unhatched eggs be fed because they cannot be digested and may bung a fish up.
I'm sure a small amount won't hurt, but a steady diet?
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

They are freeze dried and don't have anymore a shell around them. So they can't be hatched anymore. When I am at home I will see if I can give you more specifications. They are sold as fry food. Before feeding I soak them in warm water for 20 minutes. The fry and also other fish are very eager for them. My older fry grew big on it.

But I will bring some variation in the feeding anyway as it seems to be a good idea.
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Oh...new to me. I didn't know about this kind of food. Good for you to find something like that. I can't even find decapsulated brine shrimp around where I live.

Learn something new everyday.