Well I never!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Well I never!!

Post by Dr. P »

Wooohooooo!!!!

I was sitting last night, like most nights, alone and infront of the puter for the best part of the night (give me an "aaaaaw"). I'd been playing around with the camera and close up lenses all night and got a couple of great shots of the zebras and fry. It came to around 1:00 and I decided it was time to shut down and go to bed. I went over to the zebra tank for a last check and what do I see????

A porky little zebra fry, a tiny bit bigger than Titch (the fry in the trap)......yup you guessed it.....its the escapee that I last saw on the 5th January as an egg with a tail!!!

It's alive, its alive, its alive!!!! By the quick 5 second look I got (2 of those seconds actually clicking on to what I was looking at) it looks VERY healthy. I would say it was a tad bigger than Titch and quite a bit fatter. Looks like it is getting more than enough food to thrive in the main aquarium....it's actually living under the biggest rock in the tank....beside the other 3 adult Zebras!!!
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Nice one Dr.P

:lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Quality, that's great news, youll never catch him though :twisted: , i tried to catch mine the other day and they are 2"+ they are too fast.
:D
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

SMall tanks! Key!;)
I had two zebras in a 240 gallon ( 8 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet) and it took DAYS to catch them.
Now they are in a 20Long. Piece of cake!;)
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Good job!!! Now you got two........are you going to leave him in the main tank, since he looks better than the one you have in the trap or put him with the other?
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Cheers for the replys guy....I do appreciate it.

Jerms, I'm going to leave little "podge" where s/he is. The fact that s/he is doing great, hanging out with the mature zebras and apparently eating well even put the thought into my head that I could release wee "titch" from the breeding trap, into the main tank....but I decided against it. Titch (in the breeding trap) has been used to being fed 4-5 times per day, silver plater styleeee......Podge on the other hand has had to fend for itself for over 5 weeks, from day 1. You know what I mean? Paranio may play some part in the decision but I dunno......things have gone soo good soo far so why change things eh?

One thing I did want to ask tho....if any one has been patient enough to read through these ramblings..... the fry in the main tank seems to hang out in the same areas as the mother (i know who she is now).....do you think she is looking out for the wee fry or could it be coincadental (sp?) that they hang out in the same spot?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I think it's natural imprinting. The female wont shoo her away.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Re: Well I never!!

Post by McEve »

Dr. P wrote:
It's alive, its alive, its alive!!!! By the quick 5 second look I got (2 of those seconds actually clicking on to what I was looking at) it looks VERY healthy. I would say it was a tad bigger than Titch and quite a bit fatter. Looks like it is getting more than enough food to thrive in the main aquarium....it's actually living under the biggest rock in the tank....beside the other 3 adult Zebras!!!
This happened to my escapee as well. When It suddenly showed itself on the webcam, after about a month or so, I immidiately noticed that it was bigger than the ones I had moved to a growout tank. It's still bigger than the others, so I wonder if they do get some kind of postnatal care from the others..... maybe they just feel safer together with the group, and therefor grow and eat better, I don't know.

I know I'm leaving the fry the next time around though
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey Dr P that's great news,

See if you can find anymore, you never know.

Personally I would leave Titch where he is, if released into the tank he may starve to death due him being accoustomed to food being dropped on his doorstep.

Well done mate :D .
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Adam wrote:Hey Dr P that's great news,

See if you can find anymore, you never know.

Personally I would leave Titch where he is, if released into the tank he may starve to death due him being accoustomed to food being dropped on his doorstep.

Well done mate :D .
My very thoughts man!! Now I am definately leaving him in there....I have someone to blame. :lol: :lol:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I was taking some pics of my snails last night, around 12:30 when I noticed the little escapee was out and about foraging in the sand. I quickly grabbed the camera and got some pics....the wee guy was all over the place...it wasn't the easiest of tasks I'll tell you.

After grabbing sone shots of the snail, fry and tank, I couldn't be bothered uploading the pics and decided to wait till the morning and do it at work.

For the whole time I saw, followed and photographed the wee fry, I had the feeling he was making it round the rock, to a new position FAR too fast and I may be seeing 2 deifferent fry. I just couldn't see them both at the same time.

When I loaded the pics up this morning....I can now see I was infact correct.......by the dorsal fin markings (and body markings) you can see that these are two different fish!!!! LOL, I can just imagine the 2 fry shouting back and forth "ok...go.....show him your tail.....now hide.....watch his face when he see's me over here!!!" :lol:

Fry 1

Fry 2

What you guys think? Do you agree?
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

At this rate you'll have a hundred of them in no time;)
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

That's fantastic! :D Bet you have another two or three hiding around the tank still ;) Wouldn't that be something? :lol:

(Your pictures aren't showing, but I take your word for it!)
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

My pics dont show?? Weird? Are they still not working?? I have them linked to a folder on my works server. :?:
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I think they are definitely different fish.