ok, so how does this sound?

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Skye
Groupie

ok, so how does this sound?

Post by Skye »

Hagen 40G Breeder (36lx18wx15H)
Rena Heater (200W)
Aqua Clear 70
Pengin Filter 200B
EHEIM Aquaball 2212 Filter (175 gph)
EHEIM Aquaball 1212 P.H. (172gph)
Glass canopy
Strip light
Sand Substrate
Pebbles/Rocks
Caves

all for 6 zebras?(2m, 4f)

please let me know what else i might need or if my selections are bad... i have to do up a budget, so this requires some key planning...

oh and, how do you gravel vac sand? does it not get sucked up?? (just curious)

tks
Skye :D

edit: then for a growout setup...

20G long
hood/light
Rena Heater (100W)
Pengin Filter 150B
EHEIM Aquaball 2210 Filter (145 gph)
EHEIM Aquaball 1212 P.H.
substrate

anything else??
Skye
Groupie

Post by Skye »

ok?
howcome no one's answering?
:cry:
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I think the setups sound fine, Skye. Might even go with more water flow;)
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Hey Skye heres my opinion for what its worth......

Are you asking this question to try to save money or are you trying to get the best setup possible?
I think you probably could kill the Aqua Clear to save a few bucks, since the Pengin Fliter has carttiges with carbon(i cut it out with a knife BTW) so it will pretty much take care of larger debris, and you can always add a poly filter to it.
You pretty much take care of the current/oxygen part with your two powerheads and with that added filter on one you don't have to worry too much! :wink:
Now with that sand substrate you might want to invest into a couple of Malaysian Trumpet Snais to turn over your sand if its deep enough( look through this threads it been talked about)
Now the hardest thing is those F!*#KING water changes!!! :wink:
Skye
Groupie

Post by Skye »

ok so,

- no Pengin filters.... check (substitue the peguin 150B in the grow out for an Aquaclear 50?)

- more waterflow....check (in the 40G or the 20G or both? how many more gph, and at what level??)

- Malaysian Trumpet Snails.... check (how many, and how deep should the sand be then??)

ok and another question: what do ya'll feed your breeding adults and babies respectively?
oh, and what type of lighting (if at all) is good?

much tks... you are all great! this really helps.... keep teaching me... :!: :P
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hey Skye

Sounds likea good good set-up. As far as lighting goes, I use a 15W trinitron. The lighting, unless you have plants is more for our ability to see them, as zebras are used to living in relatively dark environments.

If you want to save a little money, there is no reason why you can't buy a light at a later date. So long as they are not kept in a basement, and will get plenty of natural daylight during th day.

Fedding: I use tetra prima, and varying frozen gamma radiated foods, Mainly bloodworm. This is all topped off with a healthy portion of coregette once a week.!!!

As far as grevel valing the sand, yes it will to a degree suck up some of the substrate, but you will reach a point where you can pick the stuff of the top without desturbing too much of the sand.

The trumpet snails should reduce the chance of pockets of nxoious gasses building up, but this is only aproblem if the sand is quite deep.

If the sand is going to be more than 10mm deep, I would suggest disturbing it every week or anyway.

Good Luck

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Skye
Groupie

Post by Skye »

Rob wrote:Hey Skye

Sounds likea good good set-up. As far as lighting goes, I use a 15W trinitron. The lighting, unless you have plants is more for our ability to see them, as zebras are used to living in relatively dark environments.

If you want to save a little money, there is no reason why you can't buy a light at a later date. So long as they are not kept in a basement, and will get plenty of natural daylight during th day.
tks rob!
that helps a ton! :D i actually was thinking the same about the light thing... i will hold off on it for now... as a student, $$ is kinda tight, and i live in a corner apartment that is well lit all the time... so i should be ok for now w/o. 8)

in regards to the sand thing then aswell, is it even neccessary/worth my time? (meaning, will they be happier cuz its more"natural" that way, or should i not even bother? is there anything better than sand and some pebbles, or is that the best"natural" setting? what do you have??)

beyond that, if you think its a good setup, im satisfied, and will begin saving and attaining... :P im pretty stoked, but all my friends think im such a nerd! LOL :mrgreen: oh well, cant expect them to understand the fetish, i guess.... i just look at them, shake my head and feel bad that they dont get the same rush: as far as i see it, they're the ones missing out... poor them, lol!