First time Zebra Dad

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

congrats
Adam

Post by Adam »

That's great news Des :D At least this will help to soften the blow of the male you lost recently. Nice big spawn too, looks like you may have something there with the increased amount of RO water.

Well done mate :D .

PS you may want to change the name of your thread to "second time zebra dad" :lol:

Adam
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

That's fantastic man! And so many at a time! Congrats!
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi ,

Decided this morning to remove the fry this morning into a fry container, even though the male would not vacate the cave, as I had estimated that they were due to be free swimming any day now.
And the good news is that there were 16 of the little baby zebras, instead of the 13 that I had originally counted in the back of the cave.
It looks as they have a day to go before the egg sack is finally used up. Decided to take them out ,as I did not want to risk them in the breeding tank with the other adults and they would be more difficult to catch if required. Also would be able to ensure they are feeding well in the fry container.
Many thanks for your good wishes too.

Regards,
Des
Des
Mentally Certified!

Photo of some of the 16 new babies

Post by Des »

Hi,

Here is a picture taken this evening, of the majority of fry, from the second sucessful spawning, removed from the cave this morning. Couldnt get a picture of all of them as some "escaped " to the other end of the container, just prior to the photo.

Regards,
Des.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Des,

Fantastic!!!:D :D . They look nice and healthy too, great picture by the way. Good luck with them.

Well done :D

Adam
Fishfinder
Forum Follower

Post by Fishfinder »

Blimey!

Well done Des, that must almost be a record number of fry for a Zebra spawn. You definitely have the magic touch. Well done.

Andrew
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Wow, Des, they are beautiful - Congratulations - so many of them :lol:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

How precious! Such cuties! Good luck with them all, and well done!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

They're absolutely gorgeous Des, perfect in every way! Congrats :D
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Congratulations Des 8)

Great picture as well :D

Andrew.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Thanks everyone for your comments and good wishes.
I do believe that the larger viable brood size was due to the lower conductivity (TDS), due to making a few water changes prior to the spawn with 100 % RO ( giving my secret away now!!!!!!!!!!) instead of the 50%tap/50% RO . I did this inspite of hearing reports of zebras breeding in hard water.
I used my experiences with breeding discus, as any one who breeds discus will know that you may get 100 -200 eggs laid in medium to hard water but hardly any make it to be free swimming. This soon is remedied by using very soft water of 1GH as is the case with other soft water cichlids. Although I have heard reports, recently of them breeding in Hard water!!!

Regards,
Des.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Congrats Des

Healthy, and plentiful......what else can I say!!!! Here's hoping they continue in the same fashion!!!!!! If we all keep going like this, we'll need to re-introduce some to the wild!! :lol:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"