Algae Control and Another Pleco?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

mistern2005
Obsessed!!

Algae Control and Another Pleco?

Post by mistern2005 »

Since I've set up the 10gallon zebra tank, I moved the standard-issue pleco from Petco into another tank becuase I want to aviod any competition with the little zebras. However the tank is now starting to grow lots of algae. I didn't really expect the zebras to keep the algae under control since they are much more meat-eaters. But something needs to be done about the algae before it gets really out of control. How bad would it be to keep a regular pleco with the little zebras to keep the algae in check???
Zoban
Groupie

Post by Zoban »

While I don't have any Zeb's of my own I would think that a small Ancistrus should be fine. They are bang on for Algae and very docile from my experience.

Have them in with Molly and Platty fry atm. Wish I had some back when I was breeding Angels..
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Depends on the kind of algae.

I plan to keep otocinclus cats since they are small and will not compete for food with the zebs. Plus they seem to stay out in the open, so they can provide a sort of "dither" fish for the zebs.
Last edited by crazie.eddie on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

Algae growth is bound to happen in a zebra tank. For me, I just cut back on the number of hours my aquarium light go on. Lately, I have completely turn off my zebra tank light. The algae grow has stopped. Then I take a piece of clean paper towel and slowly wiped the algae away. You'll still have some algae in the tank but under control. This way you don't have to worry about tankmate. Hope that help...
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

n00dl3 wrote:Algae growth is bound to happen in a zebra tank.
I wished that happened with me. Out of all the tanks I DON'T want algae is in my 125 gallon tank, which occurs so fast. All my other tanks (zebs, shrimp, discus growout), no signs of algae. :?
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

[quote="crazie.eddie] Out of all the tanks I DON'T want algae is in my 125 gallon tank, which occurs so fast. [/quote]

Check your light bulbs. You might want to consider a different bulbs if your 125 has fast algae growth or put a couple bristlenoses in there. They will eat all your algae problem away.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

n00dl3 wrote:
crazie.eddie wrote: Out of all the tanks I DON'T want algae is in my 125 gallon tank, which occurs so fast.
Check your light bulbs. You might want to consider a different bulbs if your 125 has fast algae growth or put a couple bristlenoses in there. They will eat all your algae problem away.
The 125 gallon tank is only running 1.5 wpg (low tech), while other tanks are closer to about 2 wpg.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

I also have a problem of algae in my zebra tank -other two much larger tanks no problems at all.

I have two otos in with the zebras and they make no difference to the algae at all.

I have added plants, a moss ball, left the lights off - still have a problem.

I don't know what else to do as I don't want to use chemicals.

Any suggestions, anybody
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

scrapers are cheap...
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Jojoyojimbi wrote:scrapers are cheap...
Got them for glass. Can't seem to find ones made specifically for plants. :D
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks for that, Jojoyojimbi :roll:

Is it because it's a small tank and no substrate - can anybody help with any suggestions, other than using an 'algae scraper' :wink:
Zoban
Groupie

Post by Zoban »

Bristlenose pleco is only thing I can suggest..
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Jenny wrote:Thanks for that, Jojoyojimbi :roll:

Is it because it's a small tank and no substrate - can anybody help with any suggestions, other than using an 'algae scraper' :wink:
I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 juvenile L-46 plecos. It's a BB tank and have had no problems with algae.

What type of algae are you getting?

How long are the lights on for?

How often do you do water changes?

What are your nitrate levels in the tank?
If you use tap water for water changes, what are your nitrate levels from the tap water?
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

I do weekly 20% water changes - Nitrates are 25 - although the tap water is sometimes up to 30 so the nitrates are about 50 when this happens.

The algae carpets everything including plants - I have a moss ball, and three plants in there - lights are on for 5 hours a day - tank is not in direct sunlight - it is in a shaded area.

When scraping it it comes off in sheets - although I have taken everything out and cleaned thoroughly on a number of occasions, it is back within a couple of days.

PH is 7.8 - I live in a hard water area
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

algae happens when there is unused nurtients in the water along with light.

i would cut back on the feeding some and let there be a blackout period. maybe ad some water column feeding plants.