What should we do?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
dave
Obsessed!!

What should we do?

Post by dave »

Well sitting in community tanks up and down the Country there are many wild caught L46's.

An article in PFK ( UK fish magazine for those who live abroad ) values an adult at £750, and in my mind this doesn't benefit L46's at all.

While an individual wild caught = an individual F1, it seems to me that people are purchasing groups of related F1's, ( no matter what the debate I'll maintain that it is better to breed unrelated fish ).

Also when acquiring fish, getting an adult that is unrelated really does assist in any controlled breeding programme individuals undertake.

Whether this value is reality or not, I wouldn't pay this much for a fish but neither would I sell my fish at this price.

Because of this value list on fish it is likely more are likely to hit the market, I think, and they are really valuable ( by valuable I do not mean in the financial sense ) as breeding stock.

The price is also likely to be somewhat inflated.

Now the question, should breeders inflate their prices to enable them to afford these fish?

The benefits being a greater diversity of genes in the captive breeding population, the downside being less people being able to acquire this fish and hence less people breeding this fish.

As more fish are required, and a diversity of the gene pool has to be maintained, all thoughts are welcome.

I didn't put it to a poll as I don't think it is a simple yes or no answer.

Dave
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

On this one I'm not looking for an arguement, just seeking a bit of guidance as I would rather not alienate people on the site.

I'm doing my best, zoos, exchanges, breeding, releasing some fish to members of this site, recovering fish from community tanks.

I do not need any help doing this, the fish certainly needs help, people would like to own quality fish also.

And while Rob is involved in something, can other members not implement something?

If not, what can I say.

Dave
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

I did mean to reply to this the other day when I first saw it but I just got back off holiday and was utterly knackered...so I had to laave it until today, anyway...

PFK may value them at £750 a piece however that is by no means a fixed retail price, that is simply what one writer has valued them at....I could value them at 2 grand each, it doesn't mean anything though.

It would seem to me that price will always be a heated topic with many people who have their own strong views on the subject, but, and it's a big but...everyone is entitled to sell their own fish for their own price regardless of whether I or anyone else thinks it's too much. Whether you agree or not, at the end of the day it's none of our business. If a buyer is willing to purchase them at whatever price they are sold at and they're happy with their purchase then there really is nothing left to say on the matter.

As for whether breeders should inflate their prices to enable them to afford these fish, is again up to the each and every breeder..and it is their right to do as they see fit.
I personally would not though. I prefer to help try and make these fish affordable for everyone who wishes to try their hand at keeping them. This in turn I believe, in the long run of course, would help prevent the constant pillaging of wild zebra's from their natural habitat. To increase the value of them would simply increase the numbers of them which are illegally taken from the wild each year as the potential profits are that much greater.

I would also try to implement a 'responsible' breeders attitude when it comes to selling them and not sell more than 2 per person (I don't know how viable this is in reality)...which would hopefully result in less chance of inbreeeding.

Hope that answers what you were asking... :D

Plastic Mac
I'm doing my best, zoos, exchanges, breeding, releasing some fish to members of this site, recovering fish from community tanks.

I do not need any help doing this, the fish certainly needs help, people would like to own quality fish also.

And while Rob is involved in something, can other members not implement something?
That certainly sounds like your doing your best..I'm not sure anyone could ask anymore :D I'm also sure if everyone was able to do that then the zebra's plight would be over far sooner.
What 'somethings' do you think other members could implement? Sorry, maybe I'm just being a bit slow... :D
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Thank you for your in depth reply, and opinions have to be respected.

My point being that having purchased the 6 in Scarborough, it seems to me, and this is a guess there are more in community tanks than in the hands of of people attempting to breed them.

The point of cost, I don't think I questioned what people charged, only the likely effect of the pricelist.

With the pricelist I would think to be inflationary, will lead to people discovering the value, and selling them.

Now introducing new genes to the captive breeding population in my mind is the most important aspect of keeping this fish. Market forces are outside the scope of this site, selling fish at the market price will enable people to purchase these fish as and when they become available.

Ignoring these fish to me is a fairly short term policy, while it may lead to less people owning the fish in the short term, I can't see how diversifying the gene pool can be anything but beneficial to the fish.

What comes first, the Gene Pool or People owning the fish?

I don't think that there is any dispute that there are enough being bred in captivity to ensure that this fish is going to be around for a long time.

As for only releasing 2 fish, OK, but what about releasing 3, 4, or 5, the likelihood of getting a pair is more likely, also more chance of an exchange.

And finally, I am quite open about my approach and what I am doing, but there are projects going on about rehabilitation and projects that are shrouded in secrecy, and while the people involved in these no doubt have the fishes interest at heart.

A lot of people I guess are waiting for reports so that they can form there own opinion.

Dave