water type for breeding zebras GH..KH?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

water type for breeding zebras GH..KH?

Post by andrewcoxon »

hi, can some please explain the difference to me between GH & KH? im setting up a zebra tank for breeding & i want to make sure the water is just right for them. also does can someone plz tell me how to measure these in the water? i keep malawi cichlids so iv got a digital ph meter which will come in handy & a water test kit that tests Nitrate, Nitrite & ammonia but iv never seen anything that tests gh & kh. also what do i do to change these levels to get them good for zebras?

any help would be great,

andrew coxon
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

anyone...?
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Hi there,
General hardness is a measure of the quantity of divalent ions in the water (eg magnesium, calcium etc). Carbonate hardness is considered to be a rather "unfortunate" term, which most people feel should be changed to alcalinity. In an aquarium it measures the amount of HCO3 (base) in the water. The two may vary depending on the concentration of "trace elements" in your water. Eg if your water is high in iron/magnesium you could have a high general hardness and a low carbonate hardness. If, on the other hand, you live in an area where there is a lot of limestone your carbonate and general hardness would be at similar levels, as calcium carbonate would be responsible for both GH and KH. And so on.

It is generally accepted that as alcalinity (KH) acts as a pH buffer you should keep it at a minimum of 3,3dKH (1dKH = 21.8 ppm HCO3) or higher to avoid a pH crush (again a lot depends on other chemistry in your tank, eg if you use Carbon Dioxide). With respect to GH, zebbies prefer soft water - I keep mine at 4 dGH though I have heard of people whose fish have done well in harder water.

There are test kits available commercially, I know for a fact that Tetra produces one. I think its a matter of looking around.

Prior to changing anything in your water chemistry it is important to take a reading to find the exact levels of your GH, KH and pH. There are different things you can do, depending on these readings. Try find some test kits, test your water first, then depending on the outcome we can look for possible remedial actions.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

thanks mate,

great info!
Fishnut2
Groupie

Post by Fishnut2 »

I only measure TDS (total dissolved solids). I recommend getting a TDS meter for that. A cheap one is about $20 - $25. All my spawns have been right around 200 TDS. 1 or 2 spawns have been higher then that...but the majority of spawns have been within 10TDS of 200.
arobles34
Groupie

Post by arobles34 »

I keep my tds right around 100.